Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so for the past couple months I have been driving without lights on my steering wheel. Yesterday I thought I'd take a go at resolving the problem. I took apart the steering wheel and tested out 3 different sets of steering wheel controls I had and none would light up. Coincidence? I think not. I used a volt meter and was unable to get a reading from the purple, and black wire on the steering wheel clock spring. To my understanding the purple supplies power to the lights. I checked fuse #23 which according to the wiring diagram is specifically for the steering wheel lights. No blown fuse. To be sure I swapped the fuse with the window control fuse and window controls worked just fine with the fuse originally in #23 slot. To my understanding a member by the name "gearhead65" had the same issue but it was resolved under warranty way back then. Anyone else go through this? Any clue as to what it can be?
A little additional information, ALL of my steering wheel controls work as intended. I just have no backlighting. All other lighting in the car (map, cluster, trunk, etc) work as intended.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi everyone, so for the past couple months I have been driving without lights on my steering wheel. Yesterday I thought I'd take a go at resolving the problem. I took apart the steering wheel and tested out 3 different sets of steering wheel controls I had and none would light up. Coincidence? I think not. I used a volt meter and was unable to get a reading from the purple, and black wire on the steering wheel clock spring. To my understanding the purple supplies power to the lights. I checked fuse #23 which according to the wiring diagram is specifically for the steering wheel lights. No blown fuse. To be sure I swapped the fuse with the window control fuse and window controls worked just fine with the fuse originally in #23 slot. To my understanding a member by the name "gearhead65" had the same issue but it was resolved under warranty way back then. Anyone else go through this? Any clue as to what it can be?
A little additional information, ALL of my steering wheel controls work as intended. I just have no backlighting. All other lighting in the car (map, cluster, trunk, etc) work as intended.
Sounds to me like there may be a broken wire or bad connection in the clockspring.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Gearhead65 had the control switches (92207036) replaced under warranty which is essentially what you did by swapping out the steering wheel controls. Although the fuse is not blown, did you verify with the volt meter it is getting power to both sides?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
When you know the background lights *are* illuminated, does using that same meter from the purple wire to a known good ground source also fail to show any voltage ? This to at least verify that the black ground wire is not the cause. Those wires (along with all the logic wires) are included in the steering wheel angle sensor wire loom. That loom ends up going to another disconnect connector under the dash (after snaking down thru the steering column). You could see if the voltage even makes it to that point. Course if it does, you would have to believe that the purple wire is broken itself open at some location between the top an bottom connectors (of that steering angle coil assembly), and as stated above

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
GOPHERIT
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing