Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
400 Posts
And because I have some spare time today, I dug a little deeper into the rack versus inner tie rod situation. I pulled the boot back on the driver side of the rack, set my phone in about the same place, and recorded the results of moving the steering wheel. There was no discernible movement in and out from the inner tie rod. I also checked the steering shaft for slip, and didn’t detect anything.

I also noticed that the noise I hear when turning the wheel like this is a lot louder than I think a loose inner tie rod would generate.

The best I can tell, the noise is coming from inside the rack, like there is a bad pinion bushing or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Okie dokie. If you choose to purchase the rack-n-pinon from Rock Auto, Google the discount and paste in it the "how did you hear about us" box for an additional 5% off the purchase price. Good luck

·
400 Posts
Okie dokie. If you choose to purchase the rack-n-pinon from Rock Auto, Google the discount and paste in it the "how did you hear about us" box for an additional 5% off the purchase price. Good luck
Thanks. I get the discount emails. Now to budget the time. It doesn't sound like an overly difficult job, just a bit fiddily.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I replaced the steering rack a few years back (January 2017).

It's not a difficult job. I removed the rack from the driver side. You may need to reuse some items from your original rack so that the PPV rack (P/N 92236162) works. At least I did.

It cost me $335.89 from RockAuto at the time. It is currently $305.79 at RockAuto. Of course, use the 5% discount code mentioned (I know you know) to bring it below $300.

KYB makes the original rack and the new PPV rack.

·
400 Posts
Thanks for the info. That is the one I'm looking at. I noticed the KYB logo on the boot I pulled back when I checked the inner tie rod the other day. I don't have any leaks, and everything seems to be in good shape under there, apart from the obvious wear issue, so reusing parts shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Thanks for the info. That is the one I'm looking at. I noticed the KYB logo on the boot I pulled back when I checked the inner tie rod the other day. I don't have any leaks, and everything seems to be in good shape under there, apart from the obvious wear issue, so reusing parts shouldn't be an issue.
And by reusing parts, I meant this bracket and tube. I'll have to double check but I'm sure I used the original one on my vehicle since the new one had fitment issues. I'll posts some pics when I get home.

81KoDWmlsaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
400 Posts
That would be great, thanks. There are pictures of the two racks side-by-side in another thread, but they are too small to make any detailed analysis. I see that the fittings for those tubes where they go into the rack have changed from banjo fittings with copper washers to a more traditional GM style flared fittings with o-rings.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
That would be great, thanks. There are pictures of the two racks side-by-side in another thread, but they are too small to make any detailed analysis. I see that the fittings for those tubes where they go into the rack have changed from banjo fittings with copper washers to a more traditional GM style flared fittings with o-rings.
Sorry, I'll get the pictures tonight. I do have somewhat high resolution pictures of the racks side-by-side.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
The reason my endlinks look different and the endlink boots are zip tied on the original rack is because I replaced the stock endlinks with aftermarket ones (Moog maybe) in an effort to solve my steering wheel shake problem.

Since that didn't cure my problem, I decide to replace the rack since I was getting some place in the steering wheel with the wheels on the ground.

·
400 Posts
I zip-tied the boot I pulled back the other day.

I seem to have the same play in my rack. I wonder if the preload can be adjusted on these racks. Back to Google.

·
400 Posts
Saw that, as well as this discussion on the LS1GTO board.

https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/adjusted-the-steering-rack-today.434746/

Today got away from me, but I might climb under there tomorrow and give this a try. My intermittent wobble is accompanied a clunk, and both could be explained by the rack being worn after 10 years and 125k miles. Worth trying a free adjustment before spending the money to replace the rack.

·
400 Posts

Had a little time to get under the car this afternoon, so I pulled a wheel and took a crack at the steering rack adjustment. I loosed the lock nut, and with someone moving the steering wheel back and forth, I turned the adjuster in until the noise was gone, locked it into place, put the wheel back on, and went for a ride.

The good news is that I didn't over-tighten the adjuster, so the wheel still centers, and I'm no getting the clunk I was getting over bump or on the transition into my driveway, both which tell me that I don't need to replace the rack. At least not right now.

The bad news is I'm still getting a shake on initial brake application.

Diagnosis: Better, but not completely fixed.

I'm going out tonight and I'm putting some miles on the car, so I will retorque the lugs on the other wheel, check all my tire pressures, and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts

Had a little time to get under the car this afternoon, so I pulled a wheel and took a crack at the steering rack adjustment. I loosed the lock nut, and with someone moving the steering wheel back and forth, I turned the adjuster in until the noise was gone, locked it into place, put the wheel back on, and went for a ride.

The good news is that I didn't over-tighten the adjuster, so the wheel still centers, and I'm no getting the clunk I was getting over bump or on the transition into my driveway, both which tell me that I don't need to replace the rack. At least not right now.

The bad news is I'm still getting a shake on initial brake application.

Diagnosis: Better, but not completely fixed.

I'm going out tonight and I'm putting some miles on the car, so I will retorque the lugs on the other wheel, check all my tire pressures, and see what happens.
It looks like you have a leak. Maybe power steering?

·
400 Posts
I’ll take a look in the morning. I haven’t noticed any spots on the driveway.

·
400 Posts

Maybe the faintest of leaks? There isn't anything actively dripping, and the power steering reservoir is still to the fill line. When I got the car, the reservoir was covered in the same oily dirt that you we see on that line and in a couple other place. I cleaned the reservoir, but didn't do much with the lines, apart from accidentally cleaning that one yesterday with the back of my hand. Something to watch.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
That appears to be the power steering cooler line return hose and compression fittings are prone to leaking. Would definitely monitor its condition going forward.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts

Maybe the faintest of leaks? There isn't anything actively dripping, and the power steering reservoir is still to the fill line. When I got the car, the reservoir was covered in the same oily dirt that you we see on that line and in a couple other place. I cleaned the reservoir, but didn't do much with the lines, apart from accidentally cleaning that one yesterday with the back of my hand. Something to watch.
That's a top down view from the engine bay (I know you know this). But I'm referencing this line toward the steering rack. As PONY MAN mentioned, this is most likely leaking from the cooler, which is unfortunately integrated into the A/C condenser. I suggest an OEM ACDelco replacement if you plan on replacing it. Don't go cheap (I've been there and returned one).

IMG_9592-M.jpg

·
400 Posts
That appears to be the power steering cooler line return hose and compression fittings are prone to leaking. Would definitely monitor its condition going forward.
I gave everything a good rinse with some brake parts cleaners yesterday, and I will keep an eye on it. If the line in question is P/N 92222575, I'll consider myself lucky as it is the least expensive of the power steering lines with compression fittings.

That's a top down view from the engine bay (I know you know this). But I'm referencing this line toward the steering rack. As PONY MAN mentioned, this is most likely leaking from the cooler, which is unfortunately integrated into the A/C condenser. I suggest an OEM ACDelco replacement if you plan on replacing it. Don't go cheap (I've been there and returned one).

View attachment 179315
Which, if the case, would eat up the money I thought I was saving by not replacing the steering rack. Ugh.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts