Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m looking at a pretty troublesome issue with my 2009 GXP steering wheel. There is a separation on what I’m going to call the right “column” of the steering wheel right down the middle where the two pieces fit together. It isn’t cracked or broken as far as I can tell, but the front silver trim piece and the back black trim piece are definitely separated from each other resulting in an appreciable gap between the two. Please see attached pictures, first of which shows a "normal" steering wheel, two and three are my current situation.

The left “column” is in good shape. I’m not one to bang on my steering wheel and the paint isn’t flaking off like I’ve read about elsewhere. I can squeeze the front and back pieces together but they don’t join at the seam. I have tried (gently) to squeeze everything back in place in an attempt to “massage’ the pieces back together in hopes something will just catch and the two assemblies will snap back together but I haven’t had any luck.

The wheel operates normally from what I can tell otherwise. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m hesitant to fiddle around with much of anything around the airbag assembly but if anyone has any suggestions as to how this can be remedied I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Mine did something similar, but not that bad. Are you out of warranty I take it?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Had the dealer replace it haha. Sorry!

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the dealer replace it haha. Sorry!
Dang, sorry for your troubles, that stinks! What did the dealer say was the matter with the steering wheel? Di you have the whole steering wheel replaced or just some of the trim pieces? What was the cost associated with the replacement? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ya know, I think it was just the trim they replaced to be honest. It didn't say the cost since it was labeled warranty on the write up. Sorry, no help at all! Can't be that much though.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya know, I think it was just the trim they replaced to be honest. It didn't say the cost since it was labeled warranty on the write up. Sorry, no help at all! Can't be that much though.
No problem man, I understand! Hopefully it's just the trim on mine as well but either way it kind of bugs me. It's not mission critical but definitely vexing.

I know JHP sells the trim pieces so it may be cheaper to do myself. I will just have to wait and see what the dealer says.

Does anyone else have any insight or suggestions?

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my steering wheel replaced under warranty (leather was coming unwrapped), and the bottom trim was loose afterward, until they fixed it. Don't know what they did though.
Man, more people are having trouble either this than I thought! Glad y'all were able to get it fixed under warranty. I'm REALLY not looking forward to see what the dealer's solution for this one is.

Anyone have any additional insight on this one, as far as repair or cost info for getting this repaired? Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought I had something like this starting, but figured it was just my imagination. Out of warranty, also.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried pushing them together maybe there is a clip that just opend up
I have tried to gently squeeze all along the right side evenly and firmly but I can't get the pieces to come back together. It's very frustrating because obviously the wheel was designed to NOT come apart. I just don't know what caused it.

This is obviously not an isolated incident as evidenced by the others' problems in this thread. Was there ever a service bulletin for this? I can't seem to find one. Are there any other threads out there about this? I would like to know FOR SURE why this is happening before I get work done on it. Will it eventually cause damage to the wheel or airbag assembly? Will it mess with the steering wheel controls? Will it get worse? And, most importantly, if I pay to have it fixed out of warranty, will it happen again in another 2-3 years when G8 parts will be even harder to find?

I really do thank everyone for their contributions on this one. Hopefully we can find more information about this. It would be nice if GM Support could offer some insight, if possible!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Unfortunately there seems to be quite a few recurring issues in these cars. I guess you can only replace and hope for the best or sell.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While I have been very happy with my G8 during my nearly 3 years of ownership I must say that I agree. Although I'm certainly no expert on vehicle build quality and my opinion may be somewhat biased given my own problems with the car, I would hope that some issues like this just wouldn't crop up in a $40,000 car.

As for getting everything fixed, it's not a case of being cheap and not wanting to spend the money to maintain a nice vehicle. It's that I would like to know the how and why behind the problems I am potentially paying to fix. Even if it's something small and seemingly irrelevant I just want to be square with what's going on.

It is definitely frustrating.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
If you think that trim piece can be pushed back into place (with help). You could think about doing this if you have thoughts of wanting to do it yourself(I would do this for me). I have 2 little 4oz plastic bottles of epoxy(part A an B) that I bought from a golf supply place, that I use to assemble golf clubs with. Its very slow drying, which allows for precise positioning prior to drying (an I mean super bonding power). If you had some of this, you could mix a very small blend (1 part A to 1 part B), an using say a toothpick, you could slurry on a (very thin layer) to the affected area of separation. The colder it is, the less chance of the epoxy leaking away from where you want it to be. Then press the trim back to its proper position with say a protective layer of wax paper wrapped around the spoke. You could then wrap that with a few layers of duct tape, keeping maximum pressure on the trim piece as you layer wrap it (you know that tape can handle a lot of pre-load). After about 1 hour you could drive around safely. If not required, you would be better off leaving it alone for 24 hours. Slower drying epoxy is WAY stronger than your 5 to 15 min type.

·
Missing G8s
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that is actually a VERY good suggestion. That is definitely something to consider. My only hang-up is that I don't know what's causing the wheel to separate. When I squeeze it together, obviously something is "pushing" back and causing the assembly to stay separated. I don't know if by holding everything together I am pinching some wires, putting stress on part of the steering wheel assembly or what's going on.

If it's as simple as we would all hope, that something just "popped" out of place and a clip or some other retaining mechanism failed then sure, a (relatively) simple adhesive job would probably do the trick. But dice I don't know what's "under the hood" of the steering wheel I'm hesitant to mess around in there much.

Your directions are very detailed and I definitely appreciate your suggestions. As it is now it's not a fatal flaw and isn't hindering performance too much. If I go futzing around in there without knowing what's going on in there I'm not sure what might happen.

I'll see what the dealer says in a couple weeks at my check-up. If it doesn't look to bad I may undergo surgery! Again, thanks for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
hikeskool
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing