Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that if I brake hard when going 70mph or so, my steering wheel vibrates. Is this an issue with my brakes or rotors? I don't notice this when traveling on surface roads, only when I am traveling at a high rate of speed and slow down abruptly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Have your rotors turned or depending how old they are get new ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did you ever get your factory lower control arms changed? I have a similar problem but I need to have my lower control arms fixed first(common problem for our G8)?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would bet against the problem being LCAs, especially if it's only under hard braking at high speeds. Bottom dollar it's the rotors. There are far too many options for brakes. It all depends on what you're looking for in price and performance. Many different setups are working well for many members.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would bet against the problem being LCAs, especially if it's only under hard braking at high speeds. Bottom dollar it's the rotors. There are far too many options for brakes. It all depends on what you're looking for in price and performance. Many different setups are working well for many members.
Thanks and in regards to the options for brakes, I am just looking for a replacment that is on par with OEM performance.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Thanks and in regards to the options for brakes, I am just looking for a replacment that is on par with OEM performance.
You can go the route I went with in my sig minus the SS lines. Quality rotors and the Hawk HPS are great pads. I'm betting this will be cheaper than OE as well.

·
GM Enthusiast
826 Posts
I have ran the centric rotors with hawk hps pads too. Its a good setup that will get you stopping quickly and consistently, but if you don't like brake dust then I would not recommend the Hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have ran the centric rotors with hawk hps pads too. Its a good setup that will get you stopping quickly and consistently, but if you don't like brake dust then I would not recommend the Hawk HPS pads.
I have heard that the pads dust quite a bit but after 2 months I haven't noticed any extra dust at all. None. No dust and zero noise. Not sure why I'm the exception but I love the setup do far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Any experience with the hawk ceramics? Do they give off a lot of brake dust?

·
GM Enthusiast
826 Posts
I dont have any experience with the ceramics, but from what i read they are more "dust friendly".

The dust on the HPS does not bother me but if you are used to the stock pads then you will be surprised on the amount of dust they can make. My advice would be to get the ceramics if you are looking for a stock like pad but still an upgrade from the stock pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts