Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting my head unit replaced with the Kayhan Audio, G8 design system or the Aerpro Double Din. anyone have any input on the better unit of the 3. I like the Kayhan and the options it offers.

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
Welcome. Searched the forum for more information?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
I installed the G8 Design and am quite happy with it. I think it is a matter of preference.

As Pony Man stated, there is plenty of input on the forum for either of the three.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Initial versions of the Kayhan are somewhat glitchy. I've made do with mine for 3 years now, so still livable depending on one's patience level I guess. They are on V4 now which I hear are a lot more stable and I think V5 might be released soon.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I put an Aerpro kit with an Alpine head unit in my wife's G8 and she's more than happy with it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
To me it would come down to HVAC controls. G8 Design was touch, Kayhan is touch (I believe), Aerpro isn't. I pulled my G8 Designs to go back to stock. I miss the functionality of a nice aftermarket radio, but it didn't have Android auto anyhow, only Apple car play. If I was doing it again I'd do Aerpro simply due to HVAC controls. But I hear that Aerpro has temperature control in Metric vs Imperial, so something to bear in mind. Might not bother you, would drive me nuts.

-J

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Kayhan has an optional HVAC button pod that sits in the cupholder. I have it and use it most of the time, but it doesn't have all the functions.

Reactions: lastcall190

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is another option available from alpine. It looks much nicer in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive been a loyal Alpine cust for over 40 yrs, Ive tried everything i can to get an American copy of that. Even the Alpine reps at my local Alpine auth Superstore acted like it was impossible to get this in America. Ive called stores in Austrialia and they have them, but wont ship to usa. I give up. Im on the pre-order for the next batch from G8Desins

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're looking for better sound the stock head unit can sound very good with the right speakers, trust me I went though this. if your stock head unit is working fine just leave it and ill tell you what subs and speakers to get and you'll be very happy for way less money spent

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're looking for better sound the stock head unit can sound very good with the right speakers, trust me I went though this. if your stock head unit is working fine just leave it and ill tell you what subs and speakers to get and you'll be very happy for way less money spent
I just bought a GT friday and the majority of my speakers are blown…what’s your set up?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
Prices are March 2021.

G8 Design framework - On sale, $600
Radio - Jensen CMN8620 - $250
Door Speakers - Kicker - DSC650 - $70 a pair
Amplifier - Rockford Fosgate R2-1200X1 1200Watt - $330
Kicker Dual 10" Subwoofers in a box 43DCWR102 - $285
Steering Wheel Control Module - AXXESS AXSWC - $59
Parking Brake Bypass - DIYBypass.com - $11
Rear Camera - Brandmotion 9002-7601 - $60
EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit - $80

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought a GT friday and the majority of my speakers are blown…what’s your set up?
Alright first thing you have to do is the amp "mod", in the trunk next to the battery is the stock amp and it has a gain knob, turn that all the way up. Next you want to find the post on here somewhere about the rear subs being wired reversed from the factory and correct that. Just that alone will make the bass sound a lot better
Okay for the rear subs I went with the Kicker CompR 8 inch 2 Ohm....you will have to bend the rear metal deck housing a little bit for these to fit
Rear door speakers you want to keep coaxial in the rear and the front components
Rear doors- JBL GTO629. They fit but you need to use the brackets they come with, not an issue at all
Front doors- JBL GTO609C. With these you will have to run new wiring with the new tweeters and replace the stock tweeters. This will be the only part that is a little annoying
As for the center speaker just go to autozone and get the 3.5 inch one its metra 35SP its 4 ohm. the doors will be 3 ohm. You want the center to be 4ohm or else it will over power the rest of them and sound
weird. Some people do the resistor mod but you really don't have to. Honestly in my opinion this is a cheap option and you will get very good sound and bass without getting an aftermarket amp and having to do too much wiring. Lots of people underestimate the stock head unit.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
In my opinion, you don't need to run components in the front doors and replace the stock tweeters if you aren't going to amplify them. Having the same 2 way infinity kappas in all the doors, button on the front door speakers that reduce the tweeter volume pushed, stock dash tweeters and center channel, and an amplified 10" in the trunk sounds great.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,282 Posts
So, there you have it!!

Everyone's ears and ideas are different. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive been a loyal Alpine cust for over 40 yrs, Ive tried everything i can to get an American copy of that. Even the Alpine reps at my local Alpine auth Superstore acted like it was impossible to get this in America. Ive called stores in Austrialia and they have them, but wont ship to usa. I give up. Im on the pre-order for the next batch from G8Desins
Do we know for sure if these work with G8s in the US? I have a friend in AU that's coming to visit. Is it worth trying to get them to buy one and bring it over?

iLX-702D for VE Series-1 Commodore / HSV

I'm looking at this one

·
Pontiac Crazy
560 Posts
Do we know for sure if these work with G8s in the US? I have a friend in AU that's coming to visit. Is it worth trying to get them to buy one and bring it over?

iLX-702D for VE Series-1 Commodore / HSV

I'm looking at this one
I'm not sure anyone has ever been able to get there hands on one to try. I think most of the vendors down there turned away any US buyers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts