Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steven's G8 Mods (Pictures Update JULY 16 2015 @ 22:00 EST)

Hello all!

Big weekend ahead for my G8 (2009 Base SRM)

Getting all this installed in one go.

1. JHP VIM and Auto Reverse Camera
2. All Speakers replaced ( Kicker for doors, Rockford Fosgate for rear shelf subs)
3. Audio Processor (Dynamat Trunk)
4. Reverse Camera
5. Glovebox light
6. Screen Mirroring and Android Phone Mirroring using HDMI, I found a really slick and simple solution
7. Wireless Charger for my phone.
8. Rockford Fosgate 5-Channel Amp

I would love to know if anyone knows the clearance between the Climate control grills and the little shelf in the front dash, and if it is accessible behind without removing the radio. My idea is to stick the wireless charger in there, so my phone can be placed on the shelf and charge.

Second, does anyone have a diagram of where the connector controlling the front speakers comes out of the factory radio.

I will be taking pictures as things come apart and go in. Planning on doing it in the garage over three days so hopefully it won't end up too cold (Current forecast -18c)

Wish me luck!

Steven

Admin, please move if in wrong section, this is mostly electronics based, but I plan on doing more in the future!

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
I hope things come apart and go back together decent for you, I hear ya' on the speaker replacement. I own 2 G8's myself and in both cars the speakers are junk as well as the CD player spitting the CD's out with error while jumping ahead of songs. POS blafunked junk in a G8. They should have put Infinity or Bose audio in these cars.
Good luck look forward to the pics.
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Only beef with mine is lousy FM reception, I do know all speakers in mine were replaced under warranty at one time or another, and I have yet to put a CD in the player. Good luck with this, every time I try something like this I snap off at least half the mounting tabs and everything squeaks for the rest of my life......

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Steven, go to 1313's thread about installing an Aeroforce gauge in Active topics, it may help you if you have to take radio faceplate off if you are thinking of putting your wireless charger in the cubbie hole under climate controls and beside the power plug if that is the shelf you are talking about

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@basg8 I am actually talking about the shelf above the climate control vents, just below the centre channel speaker where the 'Atari' gauges were mounted in the 2008 model.

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4 saw climate control didn't click on grills. How far did you get?
Will be doing all of this work next weekend (13-16), was trying to figure it out so I had everything bought before hand!

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope things come apart and go back together decent for you, I hear ya' on the speaker replacement. I own 2 G8's myself and in both cars the speakers are junk as well as the CD player spitting the CD's out with error while jumping ahead of songs. POS blafunked junk in a G8. They should have put Infinity or Bose audio in these cars.
Good luck look forward to the pics.
Cheers
Eric
Thanks! I have been lucky to have had no problems with my CD changer. I use it religiously with all six CD's. When I was in the planning process a few weeks ago, I wanted to make sure that everything would look as stock as possible, so changing the Stereo was out of the question looks wise and budget wise it wasn't possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I put LED's in the trunk to replace the dinky OEM light, I cheaped out and re-purposed the trunk light for the center console. The clear lens is too bright for my taste. The smoked version is probably friendlier for console use, while the clear lens version excels for use in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Sigh. My modding budget has been in the red for quite some time, but should go blue some time this summer (fingers crossed). At this point, can only afford the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities...that was a great movie. Best of luck on your modifications and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
PM me.. I can email schematics to you.

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Teaser of all the goodies going in this weekend! Will show more later!
130.jpg

·
Registered
989 Posts
What was your mirroring solution?

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor

What was your mirroring solution?
Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. 59.99 @ future shop. It was perfect as it worked with android, had a super fast boot & connect, works flawlessly, and doesn't need an external router & internet connection like a chrome-cast does. Also allows me to mirror and use data for google maps, while sending out a wireless signal just like a wireless hotspot. I will be using the standard HDMI to RCA converter box, which already tested, works great!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. 59.99 @ future shop. It was perfect as it worked with android, had a super fast boot & connect, works flawlessly, and doesn't need an external router & internet connection like a chrome-cast does. Also allows me to mirror and use data for google maps, while sending out a wireless signal just like a wireless hotspot. I will be using the standard HDMI to RCA converter box, which already tested, works great!
awesome. Thanks.

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Pictures Added!

Here we go!

130.jpg

2x Rockford Fosgate Punch P2 Subs ( 4ohm)
1x Rockford Fosgate Prime R600X5 5 Channel, 600 Watt Amp
1x Audio Control LC6i Sound Processor

138.jpg

4 Gauge Amp Wiring Kit
1st wiring harness
Rca leads
25 Ft of Wiring Loom

137.jpg

Samsung Wireless charging Pad
Hdmi Extension
Various Zip Ties, Heat Shrink, Splice Connectors ( not 100% sure I will use these yet)
Felt Corners
Instant Super Glue
12v to 2x USB (Will be wired in for phone charger)
200ft of 18 GA wire for speaker runs

135.jpg

Hushmat for Rear deck
Roller
The required parts for the build it yourself Aux Inputs, probably won't use these, might separate from them @ the Lakeview meet.

133.jpg

Parts for glovebox light, I can give part #'s later if needed.
New Key for glovebox, when I bought the car the original didn't come with it, anyone with experience in changing these let me know!

HDMI to AV
Male to Male Connector (3x)
Microsoft wireless display adaptor (Came with small HDMI extender)
2x Hardwired 12V to USB adaptors, will connect to 12v socket to come on with ignition. These power HDMI to AV & Wireless Adaptor
Shielded 25 ft Subwoofer Cable for Rearview Camera
Boyo Rearview Camera
JHP Autoswitch & Vim ( Plug and Play)
Aux Cables

Thanks for taking a look, watch for pictures all weekend, hopefully all goes to plan!

Steven

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Holy crap, and I have a hard time changing a light bulb! How'd you do? Hope you have a heated garage, those outside temps are vicious this weekend.

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update!

Still working away, garage is holding steady at +1 C.

Hopefully all will be finished today, Amp/ Sound Processor installed & wired, ran about 350 feet of wire for the factory integration. Will have more photos later.

101.jpg

Here is my signal wire, was unable to use the plug in the back.

123.jpg

Tweeters installed up front

122.jpg

My buddy James helping out, he is a wiring and electronics guru, wouldn't be able to do it without him, you can see the new red wires we used, there were 16 wires that were added, and a subwoofer cable for the rearview camera.

119.jpg

More photos to come!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts