Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the sticky clutch pedal that is preety common on the stock M6 trans...what is the root cause... i am starting on have that more often than not , other than that shifts fine and just wondering why ....looking for a tech explanation on why that pedals stays to the floor. i thought there was a helper spring that would assist it bringing it back up

is it debri in the clutch fluid?

is it the smaller hydrolic line size that does not allow enough fluid to flow ?

sticky flywheel and clutch disk ?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Root cause is the pressure plate. The pressure plate is a "self adjusting" design to keep disc wear in check for consistent pedal height, looked good on paper but once it gets some miles on it and dust it locks up. The higher its revved on release the more it sticks. Fluid does get contaminated and needs flushing(I do it every oil change) but it only helps the problem, doesnt solve it. This is why all of the people thats bought an aftermarket clutch like a Spec or Monster no longer have the issue.

·
There was one?
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Your all over it Rillo. If it's been discussed before you are on it! (kidding)

I have 44,000 miles on my stock clutch and it just started to stick. Had to lift it up with my foot while running an STI. Fortunately I have a Mcleod twin disc, oem release bearing, and the tick remote speed bleeder sitting next to me waiting for me to install it.

Seems like a multiple reason problem. Also seems like what helps other cars doesn't mean it will help your car. (Probably won't hurt though)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I do agree that fresh fluid helps but it doesn't cure it completely on a lot of cars. Aftermarket clutch and fresh fluid is the only cure. The only thing that brings the pedal back is the pressure plate. That's it. There's no return spring or anything else like that, its just a hydrolic system with pressure from the pressure plate and your left foot. If the pressure plate doesn't disenguage then there is nothing to push the pedal back up. When people pull the pedal back manually your just pulling the fluid back through the system which is the pressure plates job. Dirty fluid aggrevates this by being harder to circulate and makes it harder on the pressure plate to do its job. Some factory pressure plates are worse than others(like mine lol) so sometimes fluid is all that's needed to be changed. Btw the reason I say flush is because if you just change what's in the rezzy the fluid in the lines/master/slave is still dirty and the only way to fully get it all is to flush it all out at the slave cylinder. I let mine drain all the way out while I'm changing the oil and refill and bleed. Just dont fully remove the factory bleed screw its almost impossible to get back in there lol.

·
There was one?
2,310 Posts
Your all over it Rillo. If it's been discussed before you are on it! (kidding)
After 1.700 posts I have been around! LOL I have had most of the issues on the threads I am involved with or looking to perform the same mods...... just trying to help fellow forum members and car enthusiasts. :judge:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got to love the search function, was having this problem before i left on deployment and now when i get home i have some work to do. i plan on adding a twin turbo kit so i will be going with the monster clutch system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts