Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought my GT about a month ago with 28K miles on it. Shortly after buying it I realized the front strut mounts were collapsed and had a clunk in the front when going over bumps at low speeds. The dealer replaced the strut mount bushings/bearings, LCAs, and radius rods (all both sides). Got the car back and some noises had quieted but the clunk while going slow over bumps is still there. You can feel it in the floor boards, its a solid thunk/clunk. I've got under the car with weight on and off the wheels, yanked and jiggled everything I can find (lca, radius rods, calipers, sway bar and links, etc.). Everything seems nice and tight. I even took it to a Pedders shop for alignment(dealers have no clue) and they said that everything seems tight.

Anyone have any ideas what to look for???? I really want to love this car but this is annoying.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I would just take it back to the dealer you got it from and have them fix it . Is there a reason why you can't ?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
In New York you get at least thirty days from date of purchase as long as the car is under a 100k. Don't know what it is elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Check the brake calipers, I had one come loose during my early ownership

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This may be wrong but check to see if the exhaust is hitting the braces in the tunnel. Mine was doing that

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just did my xpipe install yesterday and made sure nothing was rubbing/hitting anywhere on the exhaust. Def. feels like its up front, maybe more on the left side.

I would just take it back to the dealer you got it from and have them fix it . Is there a reason why you can't ?
It has the certified BtB warranty, I'm just trying to figure out whats causing it myself before I start the back and forth with the dealer. :banghead:

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
If you can easily duplicate the problem, do take the service writer for a test drive and show them the noise. Be as descriptive as possible.

I too had a loose caliper bracket causing a small popping noise under the drivers floor board when going over control joints and entering garages.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
@t.snow50, I agree with SRG63, take the vehicle to the dealership and take the technician and/or service manager for a ride to show them what you’re going through if you can duplicate the concern.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can easily duplicate the problem, do take the service writer for a test drive and show them the noise. Be as descriptive as possible.

I too had a loose caliper bracket causing a small popping noise under the drivers floor board when going over control joints and entering garages.
I've got an appointment set up for next week with the dealer. I'm a mechanic myself (on helicopters tho) so i'm just the kind of person that would like to know, before going in, what the problem is.

Any ideas on how to check the brake caliper mounts or how much movement there should be? I've grabbed the calipers and they move a little but it doesnt seem like enough to make the noise im hearing.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
No idea on how to check, mine happened around 8k. After I took them for a test drive and showed them the problem that they couldn't duplicate, it was quickly replaced with a new bracket under warranty.

I can tell you it was a small bumping/clunk on the floor board. I could feel it under my left foot when it happened....and it only happened over C/J's and entering garage areas with the raised lip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No idea on how to check, mine happened around 8k. After I took them for a test drive and showed them the problem that they couldn't duplicate, it was quickly replaced with a new bracket under warranty.

I can tell you it was a small bumping/clunk on the floor board. I could feel it under my left foot when it happened....and it only happened over C/J's and entering garage areas with the raised lip.
Thanks for the help. I'll def. mention this when i take em on a ride. btw i'll be moving to the Charlotte area soon, maybe Ill see ya around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What Pedders dealer did you take it to, Raymonds in Indy?

can you tell if the noise is coming from the upper area or lower area?
Yep Raymonds. Although I was there mostly for an alignment so I didnt have then dig deeper, just make sure that nothing was loose. Their 2 guys that really know G8s werent there so I didnt have them go any farther.

I cant really tell if its on top or bottom. To me is really sounds like the strut is moving suddenly over small slow bumps, even tho they just replaced the mount bushings/bearings. With weight off the wheels I get no movement anywhere tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts