Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G8, V6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picture below of the shroud (part# 92194403) to be used with the leather steering wheels:

Picture below of stock shroud (part# 92194402) for non leather steering wheels:

Picture of back stock non leather steering wheel with shroud cover attached:
Immage below of front plastic steering wheel with shroud attached to back.
Immage below of the 2 different shroud covers. One for the leather & the other for non leather:

Poto below with the correct shroud (part# 92194403) to be used for the leather steering wheels:

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
No, it will not not work. You need 92194403

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G8, V6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it will not not work. You need 92194403

Any reason as to why? Is the attachment holes different sizes? Can it be modified? And if any of you find out where any can be located, I’d greatly appreciate it. Ive looked all over the web and showing discontinue. Too bad they cant be 3D printed? Shouldn’t be too hard? Maybe I would just have to install new steering wheel without it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any reason as to why? Is the attachment holes different sizes? Can it be modified? And if any of you find out where any can be located, I’d greatly appreciate it. Ive looked all over the web and showing discontinue. Too bad they cant be 3D printed? Shouldn’t be too hard? Maybe I would just have to install new steering wheel without it?
It's completely different and cannot be modified unfortunately. While the part is discontinued, there are plenty in Australia. I can get one for you, but it will take several weeks.

I am assuming you have a steering wheel lined up?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G8, V6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's completely different and cannot be modified unfortunately. While the part is discontinued, there are plenty in Australia. I can get one for you, but it will take several weeks.

I am assuming you have a steering wheel lined up?

Thanks for your reply! I haven’t purchased a new steering wheel yet due to this back shroud/steering cover issue. I was also undecided between the Gxp black or the Super Sport GT one that almost has the flat bottom. The Super Sport GT version is way cheaper and doesn’t look too bad. Thanks for your offer in finding the part from Australia. Maybe I’ll have to cruise by the junk yards and pull one off a GT Sport wheel....

·
Registered
209 Posts
A new flat bottom wheel, GXP or HSVi, are no longer made and the prices have skyrocketed. $700 and up is what you're looking at. Your best bet for a brand new steering wheel is the leather SV6, which is equivalent to our premium sport GT wheel.

I think I can post this since I am not selling this item, but this is the best price you will find. Buy it now before you can't find them anymore!!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
It can be made to fit. The difference is the sides where it touches the steering wheel. Non-leather wheels are thinner. You could carefully trim the cover where it meets the wheel.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G8, V6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It can be made to fit. The difference is the sides where it touches the steering wheel. Non-leather wheels are thinner. You could carefully trim the cover where it meets the wheel.
Thanks for your reply! It would be great if that is possible. Question: Have you ever witnessed someone trimming that piece and using it on the new leather steering wheels? Take a look at the two photos of the different shroud covers. One appears to be longer than the other. Even if I have to have a quarter of the bottom shroud cut with the rest of the top protecting the clock spring, would be better than nothing at all? If someone had access to an extra shroud & utilizing a 3D scanner/printer, could make some extra income selling them for people needing to upgrade their plastic stock steering wheels...

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G8, V6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
It’s not that hard to take the steering wheel off to test. It will only be some minor trimming. The only difference between all wheels is just the outer covering. The centre and control mounts and airbags are all the same. So only the outer tips are different. A short blade screw driver is all you need to pop off the airbag. I had the skinny leather wheel and my GXP wheel fit no problem. It’s a mod you will enjoy every time you drive

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G8, V6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It’s not that hard to take the steering wheel off to test. It will only be some minor trimming. The only difference between all wheels is just the outer covering. The centre and control mounts and airbags are all the same. So only the outer tips are different. A short blade screw driver is all you need to pop off the airbag. I had the skinny leather wheel and my GXP wheel fit no problem. It’s a mod you will enjoy every time you drive
I just get this feeling that besides doing the trimming, the bottom rear shroud cover from my plastic non leather steering wheel is gonna have an open 3 inch in length gap at the left and right silver spoke trim plates. My plastic rear cover shroud piece doesn’t go all the way to the bottom steering wheel, like how yours probably does. Minestops about 3 to 4 inches from above the bottom of steering wheel. Am I’m making any sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yes you are going to need a back plate from a leather wheel. You photo of the vinyl wheel shows it’s tapered at the end. Leather are almost square and same length at the silver front trim. Your going to have to visit a salvage yard. Pull a G8 leather wheel and just get the back plate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts