Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here...

Im getting a "Mechanism Error" message on the screen about 20-30 seconds after I start the car. I believe its the CD player. Anyone has had this problem? How did you fix it? I was told to take my car to the dealership. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Sounds right to me. I'm unable to find any reset function for that (like maybe push and hold these 3 buttons for X amount of time, etc.). But it does say that the player sees either a #1>> "CD player load or unload performance" condition. or #2>> "CD changer load/unload mechanism performance" condition. The radio has 12 volts supplied to it at all times from the hot battery bus. About the only chance you have at restoring the action, would be to pull the F4--15A (radio) fuse in the trunk mounted fuse block. After reinserting the fuse, turn on the ignition. The radio will now go thru a CD mechanism function self test and hopefully restore itself. Have to remember, that sometimes its caused by a bad or upside down inserted CD in there. Probably would be a good idea to see if you can eject all the CDs and reinsert them. Especially if you think there might be a suspect CD in the load. Maybe created by you or a friend, that the player doesn't like very much all of a sudden.

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
Off topic: GOPHERIT it the best thing to ever happen to this board and is always on top of user's problems and to helping them resolve their issues. Thanx for your help and troubleshooting on all things G8!!

Good luck to the OP on your fix.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
New guy here...

Im getting a "Mechanism Error" message on the screen about 20-30 seconds after I start the car. I believe its the CD player. Anyone has had this problem? How did you fix it? I was told to take my car to the dealership. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hello 808G8GT

Sorry you’re having some issues with your entertainment system. I would also recommend that you take your vehicle in for a diagnosis by a dealer. I can assist you there also by locating a dealer nearest you and also aiding in making your appointment if you like. I would need some information from you to do so. If you decided, private message me your name, address, phone number, VIN# & mileage and preferred times to visit dealer and I will set that up for you. Let me know, here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
The mechanism error can also be caused by a bad CD. Usually it is the CD in the slot before the slot it is complaining about. Sometimes the problem will fix itself if you leave the car sitting in the sun for a few hours.

Mine did it twice, I threw away two home-burnt CD, and the problem is still gone a year later.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I actually went to the dealer on Friday afternoon. They said it is covered under warranty and will replace it. The new system should be installed next Friday. I'll keep you posted. The dealership tried to "reset" it but no difference. So hopefully the new one is fine for a while, not like the original one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. Had the stock head unit replaced under warranty. Everything works good....so far. But what I couldn't believe is the darn stock radio head unit was listed at $1200. Wtf!?! Thank god I only had to pay processing fees.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not gm mfg warranty. But under extended vehicle warranty. The ones you buy when u buy the car from private company. Basically paid $23.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thanks guys. I actually went to the dealer on Friday afternoon. They said it is covered under warranty and will replace it. The new system should be installed next Friday. I'll keep you posted. The dealership tried to "reset" it but no difference. So hopefully the new one is fine for a while, not like the original one.
That's awesome 808G8GT,

Please keep us updated on the performance of your vehicle. Feel free to contact us anytime.

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had this happen to me too. Just unplugged the battery cable for a few seconds and it reset it's self and ejected the cd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts