Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased this g8 from a friend. The radio worked flawless. He attempted to hookup aftermarket amp ect. Thus be told the pigtail that goes into the stock amplifier was cut. I have rewired it twice now. They're is no sound from the radio at all after that has happened. All fuses are good. The screen works and all the functions. Just no sound. Front passenger door speaker only produces static/engine noise. Nothing from any other speakers.. Any help or anything would help out alot... I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this. Thank you all to whom helps.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Was the aftermarket amplifier initially wired correctly? Rewired it twice as in the stock or aftermarket amplifier? Which fuses were checked?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he never was able to get it working. So I re wired the pigtail back how factory had it and plugged back into the stock amplifier. I checked the radio fuse on top of the battery tray the little box. Replaced it with a 25 instead of a 10 because some reason they kept blowing. But the display works perfect shows so radio stations and everything. Just will not produce sound. Back passenger deck speaker wires were disconnected. No sound back there either... and thank you for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Locating the reason(s) why the 10amp radio fuse keeps blowing would be extremely beneficial in the search for answers. Perchance between wiring and rewiring the amplifier something occurred and short circuited a component of some sort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah. The passenger door speaker wires were touching. That would be my assumption as to why it was blowing the fuse. Thats is the only reason I could come to think of. The pigtail is wired back up plugged in the correct way. Just puzzling and frustration. Makes me think the amp could be blown. Or something inside the radio

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black, Roto-Fab CAI.
137 Posts
In case the amp may be the problem, have you tried the radio with the amp disconnected? Pull all the connections off the amp, power, wiring from the radio, everything. Install the 10 amp fuse (I know you were troubleshooting and used a 25amp, in case it is still there) and try the radio. Hopefully, you get sound to the door speakers. If not, that would point you towards the radio..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have disconnected the amp. Replaced the 25amp fuse and put the recommended 15amp fuse in place. Turn the radio up and the only speaker that comes close to getting any sort of sound is the front passenger door speaker. It just is a constant humming noise and that's it. No fuse blowing though. I'm assuming that it is the radio that needs replacing. Now if it is the radio... How do I go about that? I've heard that it must be programmed and all that mumbo jumbo. I have no tools to do such... Thanks..

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want another G8 original radio, it will need to be reprogrammed for your car. No idea on the cost for the radio or reprogramming. If you are okay with aftermarket to get hands free calling, backup camera, etc., you can go with a Kayhan from Aussie land. I think it runs around $800-900. Today, I am actually installing a G8 Design option with a Jensen 4DIN option. G8 Design was on special for $600. I then picked up a Jensen, new door speakers, amp and subwoofer for the trunk. I spent $1200 for these as I got dual 10" and a good sized amp. With the G8 Design, you can use almost any aftermarket radio. Check out their web site.

Good luck on a decision.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Factory head-unit will have to be vin programmed to the vehicle. There was at least one member on the forum with both the ability and equipment to program it for a reasonable fee. A few years ago, dealership charged in the neighborhood of $100 for programming. Display unit / hvac controls / radio not working. May be able to locate a used factory head-unit on eBay. Ideally, with an identical part number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I'm going to have to try and get a used unit and have the stealership flash it. Roughly 88 bucks. Now does the amplifier control all speakers in the vehicle? Because I'm leaning towards the amp being dead and not the radio. I have found the written up forum question from the person I purchased the car from. These are his exact words quoted on what he has did this the stereo not working...
P.S... the HVAC controls all work. Just no radio...

So, need some advice on what this could be, I hooked up some subs, tapped the amp wiring harness, following a fourm, failed, now after taping everything back up and unhooking everything. My radio and temp control don't work now and it stunk like a voice coil burnt in the back door speakers. So I checked the fuses, radio fuse above battery was blown put a new one in right when i touched it to metal. Pop. Then the smell of the voice coils came back. Looking for someone that went through something Similar and how they fixed it but all advice is helpful.
Yes all wires are separated and put back correctly, went over 5+ times
Yes everything is unhoocked that I had adjusted.
Just bought the device to splice av cords from rear deck speakers, but doesn't do much good if my radio isn't working lol.
Having the worst luck in the world.
Not necessarily new to car audio but new to newer vehicles and doing stuff the right way lol.
Thank you, I appreciate it dearly.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
The stock amplifier only powers the rear deck subwoofers. Have a link to the thread? With everything that has transpired thus far, it's difficult to say with absolute certainty the radio is the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just has me stumped. I don't know which direction to go as of now. Here is the link.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you decide to replace the radio, the G8 Design framework worked for me. Installed a Jensen radio, Steering Wheel Control module, the parking brake bypass, an amp in the trunk with dual 10" subwoofers, has GPS and hands free calling. Everything works fine. Just need to replace the four door speakers next, which I have but, haven't installed yet.

Here is a picture. Sorry for the slight glare but, you get the idea. Good luck with your original radio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts