Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ’09 G8 GT and I have been disappointed with the stereo since I bought the car. I have always thought that any stereo with two 8’s in the rear deck that there should be more. After playing with all the radio settings and playing different types of music, I could not seem the get that punch that ought to be there (well as much as can be expected for a stock system). It always sounds “off”. I was about to go ahead and pull out the stock stuff like a lot of people have, but I was having one last overview of the system before I spent money on it, but it dawned on me that the “off” sound was like the system was out of phase.

Well I am happy to report that I have solved the crappy stock stereo mystery (at least on my vehicle). The two subs in the rear deck are out of phase with the speakers driven by the head unit. After doing a quick swap of the wire position on each sub, WOW the system absolutely cranks compared to before.

On my car I switched the position of the yellow and green wire on each sub so now the yellow wires are closest to the rear seat and the green wires are closer to the tail lights.

Man - give it a try before upgrading, you might be surprised and save some money……:)

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Nice I'll try it later. Any pics?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gonna have to check this on my wife's car.

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
Thankfully, after turning up the subwoofer amp to MAX, I am thrilled with how the OEM system sounds.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Anyone else noticed this? Considering how many people have swapped out those 8" cones for aftermarket, I'd be curious to know if anyone else has stumbled across this problem.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
Brad, you are the MAN! I now have a mild solder burn on my eye lid and a little solder splash on the trunk carpet, but you're absolutely right. I swapped the wires and it sounds much better! The whole system sounds tighter and a lot of that muddiness in the sound is gone. Thanks for the tip!

-Awesome contribution for your first post, bravo and welcome!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Nice.

Mine were weak from the factory too, never had thought of swapping the cables. I just replaced with aftermarket, and it also worked out fine. (but alebit a bit more expensive!)

--zep

·
Registered
33 Posts
15 minutes later and 109*F with the garage door up the bass is 100% better. Great find Brad!!

·
Ottawa, Ont. Canada
319 Posts
Take a picture for all to see.

I have a ’09 G8 GT and I have been disappointed with the stereo since I bought the car. I have always thought that any stereo with two 8’s in the rear deck that there should be more. After playing with all the radio settings and playing different types of music, I could not seem the get that punch that ought to be there (well as much as can be expected for a stock system). It always sounds “off”. I was about to go ahead and pull out the stock stuff like a lot of people have, but I was having one last overview of the system before I spent money on it, but it dawned on me that the “off” sound was like the system was out of phase.

Well I am happy to report that I have solved the crappy stock stereo mystery (at least on my vehicle). The two subs in the rear deck are out of phase with the speakers driven by the head unit. After doing a quick swap of the wire position on each sub, WOW the system absolutely cranks compared to before.

On my car I switched the position of the yellow and green wire on each sub so now the yellow wires are closest to the rear seat and the green wires are closer to the tail lights.

Man - give it a try before upgrading, you might be surprised and save some money……:)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hmm. Looking at my stock subs on the shelf, the yellow wire is soldered to the + post, and green to the - post.

So (if those are labeled and wired right), for the right rear, the dark green is + and should connect to the yellow wire, and the light blue with black stripe should be - and connected to the green wire.

For the left rear, the dark blue with white stripe is +, connected to the yellow wire. And the light green with black stripe is - and should be connected to the green wire.

For me to know if mine were right, I'd have to take the rear deck off because I left the stock baffles are still in place with the point, where the yellow/green are connected to the other wires, is stuck to the sides.

You can save yourself the trouble of cutting or soldering just to test it if you have a multimeter. Probe what should be the matching pins at the amp connector and posts of the subs. There will be 2 ohm resistave continuity between the sub posts, so the pin and the post it is wired to will have a few ohms resistance less than between the same pin and the opposite post.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I wonder if this is a model year issue?
For those that have done the swap and heard an improvement, what year is your car?

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
Mines a 2009 and this "mod" greatly improved the bass response.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm going to look in to this
Bass response on this car is a joke my Honda CRV has a better sound system from factory

1 - 20 of 463 Posts
About this Discussion
462 Replies
203 Participants
Bowlgod
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing