Pontiac G8 Forum banner

461 - 466 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did this mod last weekend. All I have got to say is WOW! I knew the stereo did not sound good from the factory, but this made it sound like the whole system had been replaced. A lot more definition and definitely a lot more bass. Great mod.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did this mod last night and it made it worse. Not sure if something is different on my car but all the wire colors were exactly like everybody said they would be before switching but after switching my subs sounded like door speakers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did this mod last night and it made it worse. Not sure if something is different on my car but all the wire colors were exactly like everybody said they would be before switching but after switching my subs sounded like door speakers.
I ended up just deleting the 8's in the rear deck altogether. Then I installed my Kicker CompR sub which in turn used the gaping holes in the rear deck as air ports into the cabin of the car. The other option would be to just put in some quality 8" subs and mount your own amp. Also, there is a gain switch in the underside of the factory amp that you could play with and see if you can get a bit better sound out of it.

Good luck :smile2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fyi I tried this mod on my subs, swapped one speaker but not the other, I played a song with deep bass, moved back and forth between left and right speakers and honestly couldn't tell a difference between the speaker with stock polarity and reversed polarity.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Fyi I tried this mod on my subs, swapped one speaker but not the other, I played a song with deep bass, moved back and forth between left and right speakers and honestly couldn't tell a difference between the speaker with stock polarity and reversed polarity.
Did you confirm changing the balance actually made a difference between which sub was playing? I know very little about the stock G8 stereo, but most stereos do not have multi-channel subwoofer outputs, unless the G8 stereo just has each sub connected to the L/R channels with a passive crossover wired in.

Also, a song with deep bass really wouldn't be a valid test IMO. Swapping the polarity is essentially changing the phase 180 degrees. While this may have an affect on how the subwoofer interacts with the cabin of the car and the position of your head relative to the subwoofers, it wouldn't be nearly as big of an impact as how the subwoofers interact with other speakers in your car. You'd ideally want a song that has a lot of bass around the crossover point between your subwoofer and door speakers as you're really trying to match (as closely as possible) the phase between these. I'm not sure what the crossover point is on a stock g8 stereo, but you could try and figure it out yourself by using some online tone generator and going from about 60hz to 180hz and see at which point the sound transitions from the subwoofers to the door speakers. Once you find the range where it starts to transition, then repeat your test using that range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you confirm changing the balance actually made a difference between which sub was playing? I know very little about the stock G8 stereo, but most stereos do not have multi-channel subwoofer outputs, unless the G8 stereo just has each sub connected to the L/R channels with a passive crossover wired in.

Also, a song with deep bass really wouldn't be a valid test IMO. Swapping the polarity is essentially changing the phase 180 degrees. While this may have an affect on how the subwoofer interacts with the cabin of the car and the position of your head relative to the subwoofers, it wouldn't be nearly as big of an impact as how the subwoofers interact with other speakers in your car. You'd ideally want a song that has a lot of bass around the crossover point between your subwoofer and door speakers as you're really trying to match (as closely as possible) the phase between these. I'm not sure what the crossover point is on a stock g8 stereo, but you could try and figure it out yourself by using some online tone generator and going from about 60hz to 180hz and see at which point the sound transitions from the subwoofers to the door speakers. Once you find the range where it starts to transition, then repeat your test using that range.
Yes I could hear the sound switching side to side. I listen to music as a whole in a balance that suits my liking and this means bass is present, a little strong but not dominant. I did adjust the lower frequencies up and heard no noticeable difference in any range that matched that dramatic improvements that others are touting. Just my experience.

461 - 466 of 466 Posts