Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been poking around the shift points and looking at bluecat's spreadsheet. I noticed something strange: my tire diameter in HPT is set to 26.22. If you work out the numbers, a 245/40R19 is 26.72" tall. Verified that looking at the OE tire specs at tirerack.... Any idea why the half-inch discrepancy?

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Use the chalk method if you want to make sure, but the GM calibration is spot on if you're wearing stock wheels/tires.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comparing my car to GPS running Waze app on iPhone: Car 75 mph, GPS 73 mph. This difference could be explained by the discrepancy. If I feel like testing I might change the diameter to 26.72.... Will report back if I do.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2% of 75 is 1.5, easily within the precision of my "measurement" since I only had whole numbers to work with. Again, just something I noticed when the traffic finally allowed me to cruise at a steady 75 mph. Agree 2% is nothing to worry about, one wonders how much variability there is between tire manufacturers....

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Use chalk to measure the real diameter, this would account for your every day rear PSI and car weight. chalk the rear tire, do one full rotation with the car moving forward, then measure the distance between chalk marks. After that you can adjust if you want. Some tires are a tad taller, some others are shorter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.