Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read through at least 50 posts dealing with X-pipes and mid mufflers and everything else and can't really decide what I should do.

When I bought my car, the mid-mufs and resonators had been taken out and straight piped back through dynomax exhausts. The drone drove me nuts so I put some solo axle-backs on there. That was great but I live in a downtown apartment with a parking garage. I hate being that guy and with this exhaust set-up I'm definitely THAT GUY.

I'm looking for some way to tone down the sound a bit. Especially on cold starts. I hear normal people's cars start up in the parking garage I can only imagine how bad mine is starting and coming/going.

That said, would an x-pipe tone it down at all? I understand the benifits of an x-pipe over stock set-up but what are the benefits over straight piped? Also, would doing the MF 12468 Mod tone it down well enough (no drone now so it's not needed for that)? Maybe some solo resonators will knock it down a bit?

I plan on doing Kooks mids next year when I do a cam. I love having a nice growl and such but I hate the blast on cold starts.

I know there are a lot of questions here but I love learning about this stuff. Car mods and such are all new to me and this and the other board have been awesome with learning things.

John

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Straight pipes is your last choice. Sounds the worst. Our stock mid muffler has a centre section that is open so you get balancing between the two pipes. That is why straight pipes is a step backwards. Now, X-pipe or X-mid muffler. That depends on your rear muffler, or lack of rear muffler.
If the rear muffler you choose drones or is just too loud, you can add the
x-pipe mid muffler. Using the X-pipe mid muffler lower the volume and drone without restriction. Can't decide on x-pipe of mid muffler. Go x-pipe first, BUT , make sure it is placed in the middle of the area the mid muffler
would go. that way if it is too loud or drones, you can just cut out the X and the mid muffler sldes right in. Minimal messing around. Now if the x-pipe is clamped, you don't have to cut it out. Unbolt, trim the pipes and reuse the same clamps for the mid muffler.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Keep your solo axle backs and add the MF 12468....great sound, not straight pipe loud, not loud when hiway cruising & between the mid-muffler with built in x-pipe and solos you aint gonna drone...this is almost exactly my setup and I love it everyday

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
The x pipe would quiet things down a bit, especially that mid muffler, but if you don't like the current growl on startups right now, wait until you get the headers :)

I used to have stainless steel straight pipe mufflers like the Solo setup, and while it was fine with the stock manifolds, it became way louder with Kooks mids, and i guess the sound will be ridiculous with LT's, another problem is that once you reach certain point with str8 pipe mufflers, the car would start sounding like a dump truck on startups because there is no packing inside that adds tone to the exhaust. if you want loud with tone, Spintech mufflers would make the car stupid loud, but you'll sure get more tone in the exhaust.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I don't want you to get rid of your Solo's but first thing that came to mind when I saw this was (especially since you mentioned headers) having it all terminate with stock mufflers or maybe stock GXP mufflers. Unless you have something that really tones it down back there I think you might be fighting a loosing battle given you're talking headers, etc. down the road. Otherwise, I think its just going to sound loud in the garage.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
With you being parked in a parking garage it doesn't help your situation. The exhaust sound waves bounce off everything, so even a very mild exhaust setup might even sound louder than it actually is.

I would definitely try the Magnaflow 12468 to start. Their products are excellent quality and a muffled X will definitely help you out in lowering the volume a bit on cold starts.

A regular x-pipe, in your case, I would avoid since they don't have really any muffling(word?) properties. They do balance the two exhaust streams and cancel bad tone, but as a muffler they don't absorb frequency.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I have the Kooks Mids, Xpipe, and Solo Axleback set up. It is way loud, so you might want to rethink your noise situation.

Btw, what do you care about what your neighbors think in a parking garage? If assuming they're all renters doesnt that come with the territory?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep your solo axle backs and add the MF 12468....great sound, not straight pipe loud, not loud when hiway cruising & between the mid-muffler with built in x-pipe and solos you aint gonna drone...this is almost exactly my setup and I love it everyday
Yeah, I think for now the MF 12468 sounds like the best idea.

With you being parked in a parking garage it doesn't help your situation. The exhaust sound waves bounce off everything, so even a very mild exhaust setup might even sound louder than it actually is.

I would definitely try the Magnaflow 12468 to start. Their products are excellent quality and a muffled X will definitely help you out in lowering the volume a bit on cold starts.

A regular x-pipe, in your case, I would avoid since they don't have really any muffling(word?) properties. They do balance the two exhaust streams and cancel bad tone, but as a muffler they don't absorb frequency.

Just my .02
Yeah, it does amplify everything in the garage which is the main issue. The building is built into the shape of a square with a courtyard in the middle. 3 sides are apartments, the last side is the parking garage which has openings that view into the courtyard, so all the noise from the garage goes into the courtyard and bounces around.

I have the Kooks Mids, Xpipe, and Solo Axleback set up. It is way loud, so you might want to rethink your noise situation.

Btw, what do you care about what your neighbors think in a parking garage? If assuming they're all renters doesnt that come with the territory?
I'm hoping the MF 12468 will tone it down enough that I won't have to make further changes when I do my headers. Hopefully by then I'll have my house and can just start it in the garage.

As for the neighbors, most own BMWs, Infinitis, Benz, Porches etc. So they aren't your typical renters. That and the condo's directly next to us can go for more than a $mil. So at the end of the day I'd like to be somewhat respectful.

That and I'd rather not run into a situation of some angry person taking it out on my car. I think that happened at my last apartment. Window was cracked, plastic piece on roof was broken, and they kicked in one of my lower grills. All at different times too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I’ve searched for the answer to my question but haven’t found it and I don’t wanna make a new post. So I’ve been toying with the idea of running a similar exhaust idea like what rick Crawford has on his g8. 2.5 or 3in pipe to mufflers and dump it at an angle under the car. Save some weight right? Plus cheaper than running a full exhaust but I know there are some pros and cons to this

·
Registered
15 Posts
I currently have the 12468 and solo axle back, and it has a nice low grumble, but isn’t too loud. I think I may be swapping out that 12468 mid muffler for an x pipe in order to get more of that v8 sound 👍🏼.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
MF 12468 is 2.5"

I thought our exhaust plumbing in that area is 2.25"

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Sorry to correct, the stock system is all 2.25" piping. (except the crushed piping between the mid-muffler and resonators)
The MF 12468 will need adapters to mate to the stock exhaust . The Totalflow 33385 is an x pipe, dual in dual out 2.25" that can replace the stock mid muffler.
They also make a copy of the MF, in 2.5" or 3" piping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts