Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I know GM says they are a one time use bolt but I have personally reused them more than once and I know a bunch of other people have also without any kind of issue. If it was my personal car I would just reuse them but if you wanted to be super safe I could understand you buying a new set too.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i havent done em on the g8 but did several GTO's suspension. they are TTY, for no more than they cost why not do it and be safe... be a whole nother thing if we were talkin a couple hundred bucks but these are cheap insurance. Just do it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I replaced them on my G8. I reused them multiple times on my Grand Prix with no trouble.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Anyone have a part number and how many are needed per side? Ya know, just in case.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
What is the torque spec that is called out? Makes me wonder now that I had my struts changed...I can't remember if they used new fasteners, which they probably should have if it's a TTY application.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I went to the dealer to get new bolts, they didn't have any or found any info on one time use only. He did a dealer search and found one here and two over there, so I just reused the old ones.
Yeah that's the problem with these bolts, nobody has them in stock!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I guess I am going to reuse them as well, I am unable to find the part numbers. Also do I need to boots? The ones on the car are cracked....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seems that every bolt on a G8 is TTY. These are one time use because they deform, but somehow that's not practical. Do you have to replace the strut bolts with every alignment? I doubt anyone does that. And I'm 100% sure that no repair shop has ever replaced the caliper bolts on a pad change unless they're broken or stripped.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Not every bolt is TTY on the car. Fasteners that have thread locker are not TTY, but GM recommends they be replaced. Now if you are smart enough to clean the threads and use Loctite, you are good to go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not every bolt is TTY on the car. Fasteners that have thread locker are not TTY, but GM recommends they be replaced. Now if you are smart enough to clean the threads and use Loctite, you are good to go.
I have blue and red, but I could go to the hardware store and if they have bolts that match do that. Also the boots for all 4 struts were 17$ each. What a joke, why don't the new ones come with them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts