Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my strut mount bearings again 3 years later since they creaked when I turned the wheel. But the strut mount bushings look a little suspect. Compared to photos of new strut mount bushings, these look collapsed to me. What does everyone think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,520 Posts
:iagree:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so, didn't wanna believe it since these are BMR polyurethane bushings. Might as well stick to cheap rubber ones.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking about getting them because of the lifetime warranty, but it says normal wear isn't covered. I wonder if collapsed bushings would count as normal wear.

·
Premium Member
4,520 Posts
:quoties2: SuperPro SPF1590AK

Collapse...

Collapse. If you take a straw poll of DST employees, no one will tell you that the word "collapse" is a good thing. And if we asked you, you would probably agree. Especially since the OE rubber strut mounts on your vehicle has more than likely already collapsed, or will soon. The OE rubber strut mount on the GTO and G8 are prone to collapsing and/or separating at very low mileage. The SPF1590AK is SuperPro's solution for this OEM nightmare.

Polyelast to the rescue

The SPF1590AK is made of SuperPro's new material: Polyelast. Polyelast features the performance, lifespan, durability and structural properties of high-quality polyurethane, with the comfort, quiet and isolation properties of traditional rubber. This new strut mount will not collapse or separate like the OE rubber one is prone to. The SPF1590AK allows the strut to maintain its alignment while your suspension travels.

Improving on the improvement

The Polyelast material is an improvement upon the original polyurethane version of this part, SPF1590BK. The polyurethane part was a great improvement over the original rubber mount, minimizing the noise, vibration, and hardness. However, there is so little space between the strut tower and the top of the strut that it doesn't give much space to absorb the impact transmitted from the road to the tire to the suspension. The Polyelast SPF1590AK not only offers the best of both materials, rubber, and polyurethane, but it's also less expensive! :quoties2:

·
The Mustang dude
1,330 Posts
Those are what I bought....and Im gonna beat the **** out of them with a coilover setup.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I bit the bullet and bought them. I hope I'm not here doing this in the summer again :banghead:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I still have mine and all is ok after I got rid of those rock hard BC Coilovers. I shattered a bearing hitting a Michigan Pothole on 59 west of Utica. I have another BMR bushing set and will replace them eventually. Meanwhile I am enjoying my H&R Coilovers. I put stuff on my G8 like Corsa Exhaust Systems that lasts forever.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I doubt the mounts in the photos above are collapsed. They start of lower than stock to start with. They don't mention that in the web site. Now I also found the Polyelast are full stock height. So if you put them in be prepaired to raise the front end about 3/8" . That centre metal insert looks to have worn the poly in the middle . Did you lube them when originally installed? I have a set of those polys at home , I'll measure the height of mine. I originally swapped the BMR's for the Polyelast because they lowered the front end too much when used with Tien springs. Front end scraped on everything. Polyelasts cured the scraping

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lowered on Teins, too. So I'm okay with it being raised, my bumper is all beat up from scraping. I followed the BMR instructions, so I didn't lube them since it didn't mention it. Did you lube your polyelasts?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
[/URL]The Polyelast's I only lubed the outer ribbed area so they seated easily. The pure poly mounts I used prev , I lubed that centre sleeve. I had no wear like in your photos.
the taller Polyelasts will cure most of your front end scraping and will improve the ride.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm replacing my strut mount bearings again 3 years later since they creaked when I turned the wheel. But the strut mount bushings look a little suspect. Compared to photos of new strut mount bushings, these look collapsed to me. What does everyone think?
I realize you've already come to the conclusion these needs replaced but you have another issue besides being collapsed. The rubber is separating or has already separated from the round metal piece in the middle. Usually when I've seen it, there is tearing, this almost looks like manufacturer defect to me. Personally, I like the Whiteline products but I've never heard of any complaints about the Super Pros.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: received my parts today and as I was putting together the passenger side strut, I saw some ball bearings fall out. I pulled apart again and the bearing races had separated. They show no cracks or bends.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Update: received my parts today and as I was putting together the passenger side strut, I saw some ball bearings fall out. I pulled apart again and the bearing races had separated. They show no cracks or bends.
If those are the SuperPro SPF1590AK (polyelast) mount bearings, call the company you purchased them from so that they can send you a replacement set.

They should be shipping those in boxes and not in mail bags. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I contacted them, but they're taking their sweet time to reply. When they sent you a replacement set, did they have to order them from Australia? Just wondering, cause I can't really afford to wait since it's my only car. Might just have to buy some cheap ones and file a dispute to get my money back for these.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts