Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Im at 125K mi and in desperate need for new shocks. Based on my searches on the forum the FE3 setup from the GXP is the best bang for the buck. However they dont seem to be able to be found anywhere in the States. For a Daily driver looking for better than stock ride quality what do you all recommend. Pedders seem like the next best option but the price is adding up for all new struts and bearings from CarID. I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,868 Posts
Drive a GT or V6?

·
Premium Member
7,868 Posts
As best I know the GXP struts are essentially non-existent in the states. Pedders would be a viable option or the factory FE2's if they're satisfactory. Caprice PPV struts and coil-overs. Coil-overs provide the ability to adjust the ride height.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
If you can find the FE3s, great. PPVs are gas charged and firm but liveable. Looking for the smoothest ride quality. I emailed Pedders about the black struts/shocks. They are gas charged and are closer to FE3 than FE2. The reds are firmer still. To get the perfect ride, you would want Koni’s. Only drawback is the rear are not easy to adjust. I’m doing the Koni’s in front and QA1’s single adjustable coil overs in the rear. Gives the added feature of ride height adjustment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can find the FE3s, great. PPVs are gas charged and firm but liveable. Looking for the smoothest ride quality. I emailed Pedders about the black struts/shocks. They are gas charged and are closer to FE3 than FE2. The reds are firmer still. To get the perfect ride, you would want Koni’s. Only drawback is the rear are not easy to adjust. I’m doing the Koni’s in front and QA1’s single adjustable coil overs in the rear. Gives the added feature of ride height adjustment.
That’s great info! I have the Red Pedders in my cart right now, but it sounds like I may want to switch them over to the Black ones. They’re a little cheaper too. I think the PPV option is a little too aggressive for my needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys, Im at 125K mi and in desperate need for new shocks. Based on my searches on the forum the FE3 setup from the GXP is the best bang for the buck. However they dont seem to be able to be found anywhere in the States. For a Daily driver looking for better than stock ride quality what do you all recommend. Pedders seem like the next best option but the price is adding up for all new struts and bearings from CarID. I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks!
I just installed new GXP struts in front and Monroe gas magnums in the rear. I also installed Whiteline poly strut mounts and Superpro control arms and caster arms. Had the local GM dealer do the alignment. Car rides very nice, a little firmer than the stock FE2 stuff, but that is what you want. It is not too firm at all, the car rides nice but no longer wallows around corners and the steering feels accurate and neutral with the new arms and strut mounts. I sourced the front GXP struts at Pace performance, got the rear struts from Rock auto but they were not listed for the G8 GT I found them under the 2012 Chevy Caprice. I got the control arms from suspension.com. The part #'s for the arms are TRC1000 an TRC1001. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just installed new GXP struts in front and Monroe gas magnums in the rear. I also installed Whiteline poly strut mounts and Superpro control arms and caster arms. Had the local GM dealer do the alignment. Car rides very nice, a little firmer than the stock FE2 stuff, but that is what you want. It is not too firm at all, the car rides nice but no longer wallows around corners and the steering feels accurate and neutral with the new arms and strut mounts. I sourced the front GXP struts at Pace performance, got the rear struts from Rock auto but they were not listed for the G8 GT I found them under the 2012 Chevy Caprice. I got the control arms from suspension.com. The part #'s for the arms are TRC1000 an TRC1001. Good luck.

Thanks, I checked out Pace for the GXP struts but they show Discontinued on their website. For an update, Pedders seems to be sold out everywhere and are awaiting a new shipment that is delayed due to the supply chain issues that we have all been seeing. If anyone is wondering they are estimating having more in stock by the begging of November. So i guess i will be delaying the install.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I got a Monroe PPV strut from O'Reilly delivered next day recently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a Monroe PPV strut from O'Reilly delivered next day recently.

I was under the impression that the PPV is a firmer ride. More aggressive. Im looking for more of a luxury ride. Seems like the FE3 style was the way to go

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
520 Posts
I don't know where your located but I have a brand new GM oem left front strut fe3 for the GXP. I'm located in Southeast Michigan.

·
Premium Member
7,868 Posts
^^^ Per profile San Diego, California.

Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I was under the impression that the PPV is a firmer ride. More aggressive. Im looking for more of a luxury ride. Seems like the FE3 style was the way to go
Installed PPVs around the 25k miles mark as the factory fe2s allowed wallow from day 1. Yes PPVs are on the firm side, not the luxury ride you are looking for but great for handling. I fine tuned my ride with grand touring tires as the G8 is my road trip car.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Why torture yourself in finding FE3? Pick up the Koni adjustable and twist the knob to your liking. Koni install is not that difficult, if you can replace the struts you can do the inserts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tasca Parts .com FE3 in stock $89.00 each plus shipping

·
Registered
61 Posts
Me personally I had the ShockWorks system on my GT on front and rear. My personal opinion is it is the best system for these cars and love how the car handles. It has height adjustability as well as damper adjustability . This system was specifically designed for the G8 and I love it. Yrs it does cost a pretty penny, but I’m so glad I did it.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Me personally I had the ShockWorks system on my GT on front and rear. My personal opinion is it is the best system for these cars and love how the car handles. It has height adjustability as well as damper adjustability . This system was specifically designed for the G8 and I love it. Yrs it does cost a pretty penny, but I’m so glad I did it.
Which version did you go with?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts