Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm working on doing a full strut/shock (PPV HD) + springs + front LCA's replacement...

The "nut shape" at the top of the strut shaft, is that supposed to be a common size? On both my originals (OEM? I'm the fourth owner, who knows) and the PPV's, I have nothing that fits?

It's bigger than 10mm, but smaller than 11mm. I tried all the imperial/US sizes I have also, nothing fits... am I supposed to use an adjustable spanner to hold the strut shaft while I tighten the 24mm nuts? All it does so far is slip and strip some material off of it... should I hammer the 10 mm in on it?

I couldn't find any mention of anybody having any issues with this part of the install, what am I doing wrong?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks :)

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
An adjustable spanner will have to be used and here's a video of the entire process which should be of some help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just checked my PPVs: The hex on the shaft is 10mm.

I wouldn't hammer a socket onto the shaft, you'll probably crack the socket (unless its a impact socket). Not sure why your adjustable wrench is slipping. The top nut doesn't have to be super tight. How about filing/grinding the shaft hex so the 10mm fits?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to make it work with an 11mm socket holding the shaft like in the video, it's not tight but it holds enough to work the 24mm wrench to the torque specs.

This car makes me feel like a noob again, gotta relearn everything :)
Thanks for the help everybody!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this exact same problem on my '16 Caprice passenger side (only). 10mm socket fit perfectly on drivers side but was too tight on passenger side. 11mm was too loose, slipped, and made it worse. I'm the first person to remove the nut, so I think it was distorted during assembly.

Anyway, I said **** it and hammered a 10mm socket on to it. Worked. Afterwards, I was able to release the socket by hammering the sides.

Curious why you want the PPV struts? I just swapped King Springs and reused the PPV struts, but its still not right. I'm going to ditch the PPV struts for ACDelco or Monroe when finances improve.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
I had this exact same problem on my '16 Caprice passenger side (only). 10mm socket fit perfectly on drivers side but was too tight on passenger side. 11mm was too loose, slipped, and made it worse. I'm the first person to remove the nut, so I think it was distorted during assembly.

Anyway, I said **** it and hammered a 10mm socket on to it. Worked. Afterwards, I was able to release the socket by hammering the sides.

Curious why you want the PPV struts? I just swapped King Springs and reused the PPV struts, but its still not right. I'm going to ditch the PPV struts for ACDelco or Monroe when finances improve.
Monroe makes the PPV struts for GM, AC Delco's would be exact replacements of the factory ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
From what I could find, PPV Heavy Duty's were the stiffest stocks I could find kind-of locally (Rockauto). Shipping from Australia to Canada is somehow more expensive than shipping to USA, the Australian options made no sense for me. I combined them with Tein S-Tech springs.

I drove it for two days so far, it's plenty stiff but not harsh so I'm happy :)

Edit: Koni's would have probably worked too but I wasn't comfortable enough to get into cutting the GXP gas shocks for the fronts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AC Delco's look identical to the Monroes and are probably rebranded for OEM. Welds, brackets and stamping are the same from what I can see in the pictures.

The Monroe alternative I speak of is the Australian specific "sport" VF version for lowered cars.

Either are probably better for my Caprice sitting on lowering springs. The OEM PPVs don't match well with Kingsprings. Clearly at risk of bottoming out and the valving seems too tight for me. The steel G8 knuckles limit use of 2014+ struts.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The AC Delco's look identical to the Monroes and are probably rebranded for OEM. Welds, brackets and stamping are the same from what I can see in the pictures.

The Monroe alternative I speak of is the Australian specific "sport" VF version for lowered cars.

Either are probably better for my Caprice sitting on lowering springs. The OEM PPVs don't match well with Kingsprings. Clearly at risk of bottoming out and the valving seems too tight for me. The steel G8 knuckles limit use of 2014+ struts.
If the valving on your PPVs are too tight for you, I've read here on the forums that shocks for vehicles down under are much more tightly valved than anything here in the states. So if PPVs are too tight for you then Australian specific shocks will be even tighter.

BTW - I have PPVs with stock GT springs and 18 inch wheels and they nicely tie the handling down without being harsh (after break-in). My G8 is my touring car so the PPVs got me the balance of ride and suspension control I was looking for that was lacking in the factory Fe2s. If I went with stiffer springs and/or bushings, the ride would have landed outside the comfort zone (maybe even 19 inch wheels/tires, its that close).

·
Registered
216 Posts
It looks like 13/32" should be the right fit but I haven't tried it yet. Summit Racing sells a socket this size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts