Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the rear passenger lower control arm on my car and I'm stuck on the inner eccentric bolt. It's the last bolt to come out, but it's not going anywhere. I already took the nut and eccentric washer off the forward end, but the bushings seem to be frozen to the bolt that surround the arm itself. I can move the arm vertically, but the bolt turns with it. With a big breaker bar I can spin the bolt, but the bushings are spinning with it. I'm pretty sure it's not threaded and just needs to be pushed out, but there isn't any room on the forward threaded end to hit it with enough force with a hammer. I've covered it in penetrating oil and tried an impact, but no dice. Anyone have any tips for getting this sucker out? I don't have a torch either.

Here's a couple photos to help you get an idea.. The arrows in the third pic are pointing to the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

· Registered
73 Posts
Can you use a long screwdriver/hammer combo and get some more room to swing? I havent looked at this bolt yet so there could be no room to do this. Or a screwdriver between the head of the bolt /lca and pry it out?

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there really isn't any room. It's hard to see if the pic because it was getting dark, but the subframe is in the way. I don't have room for an air chisel either. I have a little space on the bolt head side, but it's flush against the subframe. I tried getting a flat head in there to make way for a pry bar, but no such luck.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the dealer stocks the eccentric bolt and bushings, I may just try to cut through it with an angle grinder. If not, I guess I'll try hitting it with mapp gas.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Prob siezed I had to deal with alot of lca bolts like that on Hondas best bet is to cut it off and get a new bushing to press in

· Offshore Prositute
1,149 Posts
PB Blaster Spray, come back in 2 hours, spray, come back the next day, spray, come back in a few hours and remove?

· Registered
5,346 Posts
Drop the exhaust and hit that bolt with the impact or breaker bar. needs to be spun in the bushing.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still no luck. I hit it with penetrant last night a few times, went out again today with a torch, still nothing. The rubber was spinning inside the control arm already so I put the heat to it, but all I ended up doing was melting it away. Impact gun had just spun the whole thing in both directions and ended up breaking the eccentric washer from the bolt. I'll just have to cut it off with an angle grinder tomorrow. The dealer wants $21 per bolt and they're telling me they only sell them in pairs.. Lame.

On a side note, I noticed the 2010 Camaro LCA is way cheaper. GM parts giant listed the G8 for $165 and the Camaro's for $32. The Camaro bolt was only $2 too. Every aftermarket lists them being interchangeable, is this true of the OEM too?

· Registered
5,346 Posts
Brentsten, report back on the camaro cam bolt. Wonder if it can be used in the front radius arm? Hmmmmmmm

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brentsten, report back on the camaro cam bolt. Wonder if it can be used in the front radius arm? Hmmmmmmm
I can't find the part numbers online and I'm sure the parts guys at the dealer don't want to sit on the phone and look up all the different applications. If you can find the part numbers, I'll be glad to look up the drawings though and see what the differences are.

I do know the G8 lower control arm eccentric bolt part number is: 92139005.

There's a thread on the other board comparing OEM suspension parts and there was mention of the sway bar link mounting being different, but how different I'm not sure.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FINALLY got it out! I went at it with an angle grinder and cut the head of the bolt off between the subframe and control arm itself. Normally the rubber bushing would be there, but I burned that sucker off yesterday.

The BMR instructions were pretty helpful and accurate, except I removed the strut completely so I'd have more room. Plus the wrench sizes they listed weren't correct (including the allen), but maybe they were installing on a Camaro. I think they need to include a torch, angle grinder, pry bar, and BFH to the tools list...

Attachments

· Registered
51 Posts
I was trying to replace my lower control arms with the BMR adjustable over our long weekend. Like you, I couldn't get the eccentric bolts off both arms. I removed the spring shock combo and the exhaust to make room. The air chisel and hammer didn't budget it, just spinning in the control arm. The Peddars eccentric bolts are $127, so $21 for one bolt from the dealer is a good price. I'm gonna by new bolts and cut the suckers off. Thank you for sharing, it will save me a ton of grief...

I did manage to install the BMR adjustable toe rods, trailing arms, and outer ploy bushings. I had BMR front and rear sway bars installed last year. The rear suspension is now well planted during hard turns without the huge body lean, and the wheel hop from the dig is gone. I can't wait to see what it feels like when the rear lca are installed. BMR suspension parts are top notch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.