Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a lot to read in the first thread, im just doing a small followup with pictures with the stuff that i missed. here is the link to the first thread: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5334

PART A QUESTIONS
-------------------
question 1a: picture 3 what does this cable do? what is it called? whats that box do?

PICTURE 1

This is all the equipment i have from the passat. i never installed it,
it was done by sound advice which went out of business in my area.

PICTURE 2

PICTURE 3

i have no clue what this cable is

PICTURE 4

This is my power and ground cable

PICTURE 5

This is the remote cable

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
PART B QUESTIONS
-------------------

Question 1b: Where do i plug in the remote cable?
Question 2b. Where do i plug in the other end of cable on picture 9?
Question 3b. I can ground the amp and the battery in the same place right?
Question 4b. Do i plug in the cables on picture 9 on the PREAMP OUTPUT or AMP INPUT?

PICTURE 6

I believe this is how it should look like, some what.

PICTURE 7

Again, i believe this is how you plug it into the amp Power and Remote

PICTURE 8

I think this is how you connect the right side of the amp?

PICTURE 9

Again, the mystery wire that i dont know what function it serves

PICTURE 10

This is where im going to ground my amp

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PART C QUESTIONS
-------------------
Question 1c: So picture 11 is the famous "Audio Amplifier"? It is the left harness right?
the one that everyone refers to as picture 13?

Question 2c: I located that other amp behind the battery, is this where im supposed to connect my remote? if so... Which hole do i plug in the remote to?

Question 3c: If i have tu plug stuff into Picture 1, i know i have to remove cables 1,2,6,7. Question is, what cables do i replace them with, where do those cables come from? The amp? this is where i get totally lost and confused...

PICTURE 11

this is the small stock amp that comes with the car.

PICTURE 12

This is the Radio Amplifier behind the battery.

PICTURE 13

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUESTIONS SUMMARIZED:

PART A QUESTIONS
-------------------
Question 1a: picture 3 what does this cable do? what is it called? whats that box do?

PART B QUESTIONS
-------------------
Question 4b. Do i plug in the cables on picture 9 on the PREAMP OUTPUT or AMP INPUT?

PART C QUESTIONS
-------------------
Question 1c: So picture 11 is the famous "Audio Amplifier"? It is the left harness right?

Question 2c: I located that other amp behind the battery, is this where im supposed to connect my remote? if so... Which hole do i plug in the remote to?

Question 3c: If i have tu plug stuff into Picture 1, i know i have to remove cables 1,2,6,7. Question is, what cables do i replace them with, where do those cables come from? The amp? this is where i get totally lost and confused...

Thanks everyone for your patience and time to help me out. i hope these new pictures will make it easier for people with no experience to learn faster or to be oriented in the right direction. I have not plugged anything in yet because i fear i will blow that up with out the proper guidance, again im doing this for the first time, thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
QUESTIONS SUMMARIZED:

PART A QUESTIONS
-------------------
Question 1a: picture 3 what does this cable do? what is it called? whats that box do?

That's a line out convertor. It takes your speaker level inputs and converts them to RCA outputs to plug into your amplifier.

PART B QUESTIONS
-------------------
Looks like you have it figured out in Picture 7

I see a lot of wires in Picture 9 so I don't know which wire you're referring to.

Just connect the ground cable from your amp to the negative terminal of your battery or you can ground to that same spot the battery is ground to. Your choice.

Amp input just like you have them in picture 8.

PART C QUESTIONS
-------------------
Pretty sure it's for the OnStar, AM/FM, phone antenna if I'm not mistaken. Do not connect anything to that, leave it alone.

This is actually shown in picture 12, the amp behind the battery.

This is not where I connected my remote. I used the small loose white connector above the amp that's just kind of hanging there. See this post and this thread for more details about that connector. It's for the rear object sensor package.

Just remove the connector from the amp in picture 12. Don't remove any wires from the connector. Take a forked connector and cut one of the forks off. Crimp the connector to the end of some speaker wire. Do that four times so you have four wires for pins 1, 2, 6, and 7.
See the two pictures I've attached for more about this connection. I apologize for the blurriness, I don't have the steadiest hands in the world.
Ignore the light blue wire in the harness picture. That's my remote wire and it goes to the other connector.

Thanks everyone for your patience and time to help me out. i hope these new pictures will make it easier for people with no experience to learn faster or to be oriented in the right direction. I have not plugged anything in yet because i fear i will blow that up with out the proper guidance, again im doing this for the first time, thanks.

See the bolded comments above and pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And FINALLY, the post to end all posts! ( hopefully ;) )

This is the line converter. it converts the line into RCA which will later go into the amp. I do not know what those two thin black cables are, but i guess im going to ignore them for this set up.

I see two sets of cable, one white and one grey on two sides. Im guessing thats my right and left lines.

For this set up im going to have to separate the cables and crimp them to a fork connector to end up with something like this to plug into the harness:

and last but not least, it was unclear on your last post on how the finished product
should look like.

Do i keep all the cables and replace only 1,2,6,7 or do i remove ALL cables and only leave 1,2,6,7 connected.

EDIT

I put your harness side by side with mine and yours looks slightly different. Looks like you connected
your four Fork Connectors from the bottom, so does that mean i have to remove the harness from the
stock amp rendering all the wires usless BUT pins 1,2,6,7 (which will be linked to the jl amp)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Okay.

Remote wire gets connected how you have it shown in your first post, from the rear object sensor to your amp, so you followed me there. Excellent.

And the picture you have where you drew wires to all the pins of the harness is great too. That's exactly what I did. Make sure you have the correct L(+), L(-), R(+), and R(-) wires of your line convertor going to the correct pins of the harness. I'm not sure which white wire is which and which black wire is which in your picture, but it looks like you've got it figured out so far with the fork connectors. I hope it tells you which wire is which on your convertor or in some manual that came with it to help you figure it out.

Now for connecting it all to the amp harness. You're absolutely right. Pull the harness out of the amp. This will disable the stock amp and stock subs. (They're worthless anyway.) Then just plug your fork connectors into the other side of the harness like you said.

You'll be all hooked up exactly like me now. I'm not saying I did it the best way, but it works and I didn't have to cut, strip, or tap any wires which means it's a lot easier to go back to being stock.

P.S. I was trying to find more info on your line convertor and I couldn't find anything. The black wires may be ground wires of some sort, but I don't know for sure. I had a ground wire on mine, but mine was a different brand.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Adding-An-Amplifier

SNI-35 converts 2 to 40 watts per channel speaker level output into a pre-amp signal. Perfect when adding an amplifier to a factory or aftermarket radio. Great for getting an additional set of pre-amps outputs from a head unit equipped with only one set.
• Fixed 10:1 conversion.
• Linear from 20-20,000Hz at +/- 5 dB, while maintaining signal phase.
• Isolates input and output circuits to prevent ground loop noise.
White: Left(+) speaker
White/Black: Left(-) speaker
Grey: Right(+) speaker
Grey/Black: Right(-) speaker

Question: I do not have any sounds after the converter is wired up and connected to an aftermarket amplifier
Answer: Some amplifiers need to see a reference ground on the RCA inputs. Connect the two brown wires to chassis ground, preferably to the chassis of the stereo. If you do have sound, do not connect the brown wires to ground. The brown wires do not help in removing engine noise.

so with that said i did notice that my wires are White/black, Grey/black and White and Gray. As for the brown, it looks like its additional ground. so far so good, i will let you know thursday how the installation went, i got school and work tommorrow

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
yo buzzard, do you know if i can use Pin 4 or Pin 11 on the stock amp harness as a REMOTE?
I figure those cables come from the stock stereo. When ever the radio turns on or off it will send signal
for the amp to turn on or off.

If i use the Rear Sensor harness as a remote, the amp will be running regardless of whether the radio is on or off.
Please correct me if im wrong

Also.. what kind of adapter plug did you use on your rear sensor harness?
They are Male Blades as opposed to female pins.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can't use pins 4 or 11 as they are always on from what I understand. They aren't a keyed source. That means that your amp would be running all the time draining your battery.

If you connect it to the right prong/blade in the sensor harness, then the amp shouldn't be running all the time. Like I said, the blu/brn wire is a keyed source and that's what you need.

I just bought some Scosche connectors (image link) from Wal-mart, crimped one of the smaller quick disconnects to the end of my remote wire, and slid it on the proper male prong in the rear sensor harness.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
blu/brn wire is a keyed source and that's what you need -----> would have saved me 26 dollars LOL

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i connected everything and nothing worked, then i remembered by power cable had a blown fuse, so of course bestbuy, circuit city nor walmart had a 60amp AGU fuse. i finally went to radio shack and replaced the fuse.

i started the car and the amp wasnt turning on, so i figured either my amp is not working or my keyed source is wrong. i put my gear in reverse and my amp turned on so i moved it to pin 2 and now it works fine.

now its time for the dynomat and upgrade my system.
do you think a JL audio 1000/1v2 amplifier will push two 12W7's?

and if i replace my stock speakers, do i need to get another amp?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quick question. What is the impedence of the stock interior speakers? 2 or 4 ohms? If they are 4 ohms, would i burn out my amp if i put 2 ohm speakers in there?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Stock speakers are all 2 ohms.

Glad everything worked for you Solrac.

You don't NEED an amp for the speakers, but they will sound better with one. Wasn't worth it to me personally.

·
Teufel Hunden
342 Posts
This is a great DIY write up!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I thinks it's a amazing that you can install an sub and amp in this car without having to leave the trunk, no running wires down the cars length.

I wonder i there is instresting use for the pin 1 of the rear sensor wire besides a rear sensor. Something that only turns on when car is backing up. hmm.. perhaps a backup tone? ok just kidding.

Anyway, down to the point. I'm assuming the stock speakers don't run off that stock amp since they would otherwise be disabled when you unplug it, which means they just run off the radio. I'm i right?

If so what would you do to run those stock or aftermarket speakers off the new amp? and would i even want to do that?

last, some amps come with a second remote wire that attaches to "volume" control switch. Do i even need this, or will the "bass controls" on the radio do that for me?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts