Pontiac G8 Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quick question for you guys who have done this before I make the move to buy everything:

When hooking up the line out converter to the pins on the stock amp harness would it be fine for me to just use a set of wire taps and tap the pins needed? I'm not sure that I fully understand as to why one would pull the harness out completely and tap into it other then routing all speakers to the amp? In my case I plan on just adding 2 10" subs + amp to the trunk and leaving everything else off the stock amp.

Also im assuming I could wire the stock subs (thinking about replacing with Kicker 10C84's) to the new amp in tandem with the ones going in the trunk correct? Just disconnect factory harness and wire them all up in parallel?

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this thread. Simple DIY write-up and I have no audio background... And not having to search for that 2a fuse was great after I couldn't get power, Thanks guys!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just got my G8 and I was to upgrade the speakers and system as well, but I have a question. I've read on here that people have had problems hooking up a new amp. Does the stock amp only control the subs in the back or does it control all? I found that my system sounds five times louder when I play a CD than when I hook up my cell slash mp3 player. I don't want a box sub. I want to keep the stock look if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I just got my G8 and I was to upgrade the speakers and system as well, but I have a question. I've read on here that people have had problems hooking up a new amp. Does the stock amp only control the subs in the back or does it control all? I found that my system sounds five times louder when I play a CD than when I hook up my cell slash mp3 player. I don't want a box sub. I want to keep the stock look if that makes any sense.
The amplifier in the trunk only powers the subs. The rest of the speakers are powered by the head unit. Somewhere there's a thread about a Polk subwoofer install in the stock locations that turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hooked up my sub using the rear backup sensor connection in the trunk as the remote turn on and had no issues till this week. My amp would periodical stop working, but when the car was turned off and back on the amp would turn back on, but as of yesterday it won't turn on at all. I have checked all the recommended fuses in the trunk and kick panel with no luck. I know the amp is not the issue because I have hooked it up in another car to rule out the chance that I fried the amp. I'm fresh out of ideas at this moment

·
OGOC Member
2,642 Posts
Its great with it all in the trunk this is a great write up and theres also other ways of doing it. Its great to add more thump to it. This is mine i want to dress it up more but its a star. Dont mind the wires havent tucked them away yet in this photo but they are now. Enjoy the tunes.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im going to do this tommorow, im just wondering what the system will sound like if I leave the stock amp wired up and all the speaker wires connected. If I do it this way all I wwuld have to do is run the remote wire and power/ground wires from the amp? Also would I have a problem using the battery's negative terminal as a ground for the Amp?

·
OGOC Member
2,642 Posts
I used the existing amp wires for the remote and yes you can use the battery for ground. I tapped into the speaker wiring for the RCA cable convert and also pwr is connected to battery. Pm me if you need help. I just added the box for now and sounds great except the highs are not high enough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am completely lost, heres a picture of my amp, it says I have speaker level inputs, so does that mean I don't need this line in convertor? If I dont need it, how would I then hook up my system? There are 4 speaker level inputs on this amp. Also I tried to simply get power to the amp today just to see if it was good and I couldnt get power, its a new amp. I did accidentally hook up negative to positive input on battery, did I blow a fuse under hood/dash? I bought a 60 amp fuse just because I read someone blew a fuse earlier in the post but I couldnt find where to check to see if this 60 amp fuse was so i could see if it was blown. Please help. Thanks

Walker..

·
OGOC Member
2,642 Posts
Check fuse box under hood or the fuse panel in the trunk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok should the amp be getting power even though I dont have the subs hooked up? The power light on the amp still is not coming on with the remote, power and ground hooked up, what fuses would blow? I dont see any blown fuses

·
OGOC Member
2,642 Posts
Did you blow the fuse inside the amp? If its all hooked up right and no power to the amp then it sounds to me the amp blew when you crossed it. My amp has external fuse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its working now, thanks for help les.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Question regarding LOC pin hookup.

Everyone says use the rear speaker signal and not the subwoofer signal wires, stating you don't want to use an amplified signal. My question is, how is it amplified? You are taking the wire harness OUT of the amplifier, so shouldn't it just be a normal signal then? Wouldn't using the sub signals also keep the NEW sub and amp you're using from being messed up with fading your speakers front?

BTW, I have an amp and sub currently working great that is hooked up using the rear speaker lines, just wondering this out of curiosity.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nvm, stupid question. Those are output wires GOING TO the subs, therefore have no signal if not plugged into the amp.

·
Registered
512 Posts
this was the only part that threw me for a minute. In my car, it was pin2. Pin 1 was only powered when the car was in reverse. Got it figured out though.

Drove it 20 miles to work this morning, and I noticed 2 things.

1. seems to be more treble coming from the sub now than in my old car. Any thoughts?
2. get very minor and intermittent whine noise. :whine: ??? Led me to think it was from having the power wire so close to the RCA wires, but it comes and goes. I can't explain that.
I used this connector in the trunk above the amp for my rear facing dash cam. Connected to the Brown/Blue and the black. The dash cam comes on when the key is in Aux but when I start the car the dash cam turns off. How is the power exactly supposed to work with that connector with the key in Aux and when the car is turned on?

101 - 117 of 117 Posts