Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a bunch of favorable reviews on the Peerless SLS 8" subs on DIYMA.com, I've decided to order a pair to replace my stock 8" subwoofers.

The rating according to the Parts Express website says that at 8 ohms their power rating is Power 110 watts RMS/220 watts MAX.

Parts-Express.com:peerless 830667 8" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer | Peerless SLS 830667 8" Subwoofer bass mid midbass mtm coated cone 2-way tymphany09

What would the power rating be for this sub at 4 ohms?

The reason why I ask is I'm wondering if I should run a 2 channel amp that puts out 150 x 2 watts RMS or 220 x 2 watts RMS?

NEW POWER ACOUSTIK LFA2-800 800 WATT 2 CH AMPLIFIER AMP - eBay (item 350243440618 end time Jan-19-10 18:27:50 PST)

POWER ACOUSTIK LFA2-1250 2-CHANNEL 1250W CAR AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 140370412739 end time Jan-27-10 02:04:26 PST)

-> Thanks in advance..... :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No input.......? :(

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Hi,

I'd go with the 220 watt RMS amp because that is rated at 4 ohm. The speakers are rated at 8 ohm so using a 220 watt amp at 4 ohms is like giving the speakers the exact 110 watts they require. You wouldn't really run any risk of blowing the speakers because the amp isn't powerfull enough. THAT said if loud volums cause distortion, dial it down a bit.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi,

I'd go with the 220 watt RMS amp because that is rated at 4 ohm. The speakers are rated at 8 ohm so using a 220 watt amp at 4 ohms is like giving the speakers the exact 110 watts they require. You wouldn't really run any risk of blowing the speakers because the amp isn't powerfull enough. THAT said if loud volums cause distortion, dial it down a bit.
Speakers aren't usually blown by too much power, they're usually blown by too little power. As amplifier get closer to their maximum output they start to send out more and more distortion(which is what truly kills a speaker or sub). Conversely, if your amplifier is FAR too powerful for the speaker or subs, you can over power them, but its much harder, and most quality equipment will stand up to the abuse of too much clean power. Case in point, my Infinity 10". It's rated for somewhere around 200RMS. I can put 700 RMS to it easily with no issues at all. However, prior to mine, we installed a series of them on low output amps,and they were constantly coming back blown because they couldn't handle the distortion from a amp not powerful enough.

Personally, I'd say go for an amp even more powerful than 220x2. Profile amps are cheap and work pretty well, look for one of those. Also, I'd personally run a mono for the rear subs, especially if you're running 8 ohm subs. Then you can wire them in parallel and run at 4 Ohms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys here’s a video I made to help with any issues on how to remove rear deck and replace subwoofers. Hope it helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts