Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd mention what a great roadtrip car my 2009 G8 GT is.

Twice in the last month or so, I've had the chance to drive it across Pennsylvania (300+ miles each way) with my middle-school aged son. This car is such a blast on the highway, that I actually wasn't lusting for a GXP with the M6 for a while....

The acceleration from around 70mph to around 110mph is almost amazing, which makes it terrific to passing left-lane drivers (camping in the passing lane) on the right side with no problems. Just push down the accelerator pedal and go!

The car is comfortable, gets decent mileage (well, by my standards) and always manages to get compliments at the gas station and other places. It saddens me that Pontiac died right after making such an awesome car.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
+1

Thought of doing cross country road trips with the wife in a mini van but dropped that idea when we did a 2k mile road trip in the G8 this spring. Simply put, the driving is superb, especially when going thru 10s of miles of mountain switch backs (the factory brake pads sucked, but that’s another story). Was also previously thinking of switching to grand touring tires (currently Michelin Pilot sport as/3s) but the ride is better than my Mazda3 with grand touring tires so not going to give up the handling of high performance tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ahhhh switchbacks. I miss living in twisty country. Most of Ohio is boring straightaways. The acceleration is handy on the 2-lane country highways when you’re stuck behind a semi and you hit a passing zone with a clear left lane.

Using the G8 for road trips was one of my reasons for buying it. “Look honey, the trunk is massive and see how roomy it is inside! Plenty of room for us and the kids. Horsepower? Yeah, about that. It has... enough.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree with everyone. Where I live is mostly 2 lane highways, more than enough power for quick passing. Especially when you need to pass multiple at once. I don't know what my average is since owning the car, but multiple times I have gotten 25 mpg cruising 75 mph on long trips. Only thing I dislike being a heavier person is the lack of properly positioned lumbar support in the seats. I find myself using a rolled up shirt or something to compensate for long trips. Also agree with the trunk having plenty of room, plus the amount of rear legroom even with the front seats all the way back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Last memorial week myself and my fiance drove to Texas from NYC. Later we expanded our drive and went up to NM(I wanted to see the desert.) and back. 5,500+ miles, 225 Gallons of gas and 27.7 mpg over a span of a week. The car held up beautifully even managed to race a few ppl in Texas (Apparently 140 is best you can do on the stock motor/tune.)

The car was super comfortable so 14+ hours a day of driving went by quick and didn't feel tired or anything. (Fixing and upgrading sound system helped some as well.) Don't even get me started to driving through the foothills and their twisty roads. I think I am convinced now to move to Texas.

The car really lives up to it's Gran Tourer class. Comfy roadtrip car with enough engine for some added fun. (Not the badge, the actual class.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
++1. Great road trip car. Wife and I took it to Gatlinburg. 2200 miles. 23+ mpg. Comfortable as heck. Saw 4 Ferraris. Only saw two other G8's. Are there more Ferraris in the US than G8's? One was one identical to mine. And it was WAY back up about as far as you can get on one of those asphalt loops in Smoky Mountain National Park. Way back in the woods. He was as surprised as I was!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
++1. Great road trip car. Wife and I took it to Gatlinburg. 2200 miles. 23+ mpg. Comfortable as heck. Saw 4 Ferraris. Only saw two other G8's. Are there more Ferraris in the US than G8's? One was one identical to mine. And it was WAY back up about as far as you can get on one of those asphalt loops in Smoky Mountain National Park. Way back in the woods. He was as surprised as I was!
Ha, ha! I was staying in Sevierville (up the road from Gatlinburg). I did just over 2200 miles round trip from Albany NY. My best tank was a little over 25 mpg. I stayed on the main routes in the national park. The factory brake pads were transferring to the rotors and causing vibes when driving the switch backs and was really annoying but would clean off with a little brake dragging.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your car must be close to stock. Once I started modifying it to be more fun on backroads, it stopped being so fun on the highway.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Your car must be close to stock. Once I started modifying it to be more fun on backroads, it stopped being so fun on the highway.
Mine is close to stock but with poly upper strut bushings, PPV dampers all around and just recently Bendix PPV brake pads. I noted a long time ago, based on the all the various bushing mods folks were doing, that the G8 seems very sensitive to bushing changes. So the G8 being a road trip vehicle for me, I am not doing any other mods. I did want to do the rear subframe inserts but with the wifey kicking my balls if I play around with the G8, I dropped them off the list.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey there, I'm back after several years. My late father and I took a 3800 mile road trip in my G8 GT and it was amazing. I had the J-tube mufflers and the sound was incredible for a 4 door sedan. No, it sounded incredible for any car. I loved that trip and I miss that car.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Welcome back to the forum as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 months ago I was fortunate enough to find a Base G8 with less than 100k miles, planned on taking to and from Florida, 2k round trip. Drove it for six weeks before someone T-Boned me. After totaling it out, I was in the right place at the right time and found myself driving home in an upgraded G8 GT this week.
I'm new to this site. It appears to be filled a ton of like minded folks like me. I love the new G8 and look forward to giving it a new home.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
2 months ago I was fortunate enough to find a Base G8 with less than 100k miles, planned on taking to and from Florida, 2k round trip. Drove it for six weeks before someone T-Boned me. After totaling it out, I was in the right place at the right time and found myself driving home in an upgraded G8 GT this week.
I'm new to this site. It appears to be filled a ton of like minded folks like me. I love the new G8 and look forward to giving it a new home.
Congrats and welcome!

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
85 Posts
Damn, that sucks and not sucks..lol I drove my GT to FL and back, about 2300 round trip. It was one of the best long distance trips I have made. The G8 was far more comfortable than I anticipated, and I was expecting it to be comfortable. I would really like to find a base model for winter driving, I just dont want to do that to a nice one tho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts