Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so currently I have a Vararam OTR intake, soon to be put on solo mach shorty catback exhaust.

I want to get some kooks 1 7/8s LT headers and a cam (followed by dyno tune)

I dont know a lot about cams, or what Im looking for specifically but Im looking for:
- Agressive idle
- Good performance gain
- Good sound/aggressive
- still street drivable as a DD
- not a ton of other engine components that need to be replaced with it.

Thanks guys I qppreciate the help, like I said Im new to the LS3 and cams were never my strong point.
I would prefer premade cams not custom as I do not want to break the bank. Also please give me a ballpark for what kinds of gains I could expect with each cam.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Go over to the camaro5.com site and investigate the Nite Fury cam. Its repeated multiple 480-500rwhp on bolt on LS3 Camaros and according to what Ive read has good driveability for the size cam it is(23x*/24x*).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a solid cam. more investigating.
What else would need to be replaced if I went with the nite fury cam?

Any other suggestions?

·
218 Posts
you sure you want an aggressive cam? Have you ever been in a car with a really aggressive cam?

If you are talking about just noise, you will be fine with a good header/x-pipe, exhaust system.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thing sounds mean. Had megadeath cam in my Gto and loved with a 3600 stall. Drive ability was also good. Big cams aren't always deal breakers for dd's

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
When you say... "not a ton of other engine components that need to be replaced with it."

Are you meaning you don't want to change valve springs, etc? If not, you won't be doing any kind of a decent sized cam.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Valve springs and things like that dont bother me. But I wasnt looking to do a complete engine build or anything like that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you have auto or manual? If auto you will most likely have to get a stall with a reasonably aggressive cam.

Also, you have to ask yourself what the primary use is going to be. If your car is a DD and you just want a little more oomph, you probably don't want an aggressive cam but one that makes good mid-range power. Most of the cams that make the big HP/TQ actually make less than the stock cam up to about 3000-4000 RPM. IMHO, something that idles at 950-1000RPM, surges at parking lot speeds and occasionally stalls is not what I would want in a DD.

This is good reading for a non-anecdotal general overview of some common options available:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/lsx_engine/0911gmhtp_chevy_ls3_engine_camshaft_comparison/

·
Registered
422 Posts
Do you have auto or manual? If auto you will most likely have to get a stall with a reasonably aggressive cam.

Also, you have to ask yourself what the primary use is going to be. If your car is a DD and you just want a little more oomph, you probably don't want an aggressive cam but one that makes good mid-range power. Most of the cams that make the big HP/TQ actually make less than the stock cam up to about 3000-4000 RPM. IMHO, something that idles at 950-1000RPM, surges at parking lot speeds and occasionally stalls is not what I would want in a DD.

This is good reading for a non-anecdotal general overview of some common options available:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/lsx_engine/0911gmhtp_chevy_ls3_engine_camshaft_comparison/
^This^ This bears repeating. Get busy with the evidence in the article: make max HP up top, lose torque down low. Otherwise you have something called variable valve lift/timing, which you don't in an LS3.

See my sig, very happy with mine. No traction anyway with really good rubber in both 1 and 2.

Idle rocks the car a little bit at a stoplight but not bad. Manual car here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an auto, yeah I assumed if I went too aggressive Id need a new stall.
Im looking for something that idles around 750-800rpm, makes decent power mid-range and is is a little aggressive (some shake at idle) without being undriveable because it is a DD but does go to the track from time to time as well as street fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts