Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of driving on Interstate 95, the front end has taken so many hits from road debris and whatever that it is soooooo ugly. I got a quick estimate for painting and they want about $1,100 and that includes feathering back the hood and the fenders. I just don't want to pay that much. Looking for ideas from anyone. Was thinking about a wrap on the front but would still have to sand the entire area..........otherwise the wrap (if you would look close) would show the chips under it.

Car has 195,000 miles on it. However, had a 50,000 mile engine put in last year. Don't run on the interstate anymore, so whatever I do should last. Plan on keeping it for a long time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bra?

Quickest, easiest and cheapest solution not sure about prettiest.

Have thought about getting one for vacations but I put more miles on driving to and from work in a couple of months then the yearly road trip.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Subscribed. I'm going through the EXACT same thought process right now. Paint? Wrap? New bumper?

FWIW... $1100 seems pretty good if it's a reputable body shop.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
FWIW... $1100 seems pretty good if it's a reputable body shop.
^^^I was thinking the same thing. My suggestion would be have them paint the car then invest in a clear bra/protective film for the front end (another $500-$1000). I've never really liked how the clear bra/protective films looked, but my buddy got his 2016 Chevy SS done when it was new for $600 and you can't even notice it unless you're right up on the car. It has taken some hits also from highway debris and the paint underneath still looks new.

When my GXP gets retired from daily driver duty this is definitely the way I'm going.

·
Registered
108 Posts
$1100 is pretty steep, I replaced,bumper,grills(all) headlights,emblem,to gxp, with paint for around $1500 I would definitely ck other shop's

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
$1100 is pretty steep, I replaced,bumper,grills(all) headlights,emblem,to gxp, with paint for around $1500 I would definitely ck other shop's

Did you have the hood or fenders painted at all? Yes, you had more cost in parts, but a lot of the expense associated with the $1100 is going to be the time taken to get the hood and fenders well blended. Not trying to be difficult, just seems a little apples and oranges.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No did not blend but on back bumper replaced on insurance claim they did blend and it turned out awful mine is black metallic and took them 3 times and still couldn't match factory color??don't know your color but good luck with your shop and stay on them if it's not right

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine is black as well, and good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Had my front bumper replaced due to a fender bender and the quote to replace the front bumper was 900.00.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After several years of driving on Interstate 95, the front end has taken so many hits from road debris and whatever that it is soooooo ugly. I got a quick estimate for painting and they want about $1,100 and that includes feathering back the hood and the fenders. I just don't want to pay that much. Looking for ideas from anyone. Was thinking about a wrap on the front but would still have to sand the entire area..........otherwise the wrap (if you would look close) would show the chips under it.

Car has 195,000 miles on it. However, had a 50,000 mile engine put in last year. Don't run on the interstate anymore, so whatever I do should last. Plan on keeping it for a long time.
My car's paint was really crappy on the drivers side. A local trade school which teaches high school level students to professionally paint did the front drivers door and passenger door blended the quarters and roof line for less then 300.00 paint and labor. I was quoted by numerous car painters from 1500-2000 to do the job.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good idea APL. I may see if there are any schools around here. May be worth the little investment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts