Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions welcome, I only have to do the two front doors.
Shaun

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only way i know how is messy. You can use carpet cleaner mixed with water, or any all purpose cleaner i suppose. Get a razor and peel off an edge and and it should peel off but youll be left with glue or sticky residue on the window. Soak the residue with the cleaner and use a razor to scrape it off. It will turn into a slime almost so i recommend covering your door panel with a towel so you dont make a mess. Its not hard, but it isnt clean either. Thats how i used to do it when i worked at the detail center a few years back.

·
Official Top Gear Addict
177 Posts
I've heard some people had good results using a handheld laundry steamer to deactivate the adhesive and peel it off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
At the top edge you should be able to stick a razor in between the tint and glass. Sometimes you get lucky and it peels off whole but normally tears in sections . Start with the top edge . Take and peel at the top egde and after you get it started, you should be able to take your fingers and continue, peeling kinda slow. The faster you go ,the worse the odds off peeling it off in one piece.that's the easy part. The second part is the glue . Start with window cracked to get the top edge and work your way down. A glass cleaner with amonia will help but regular glass clearer will do. Your gonna need a couple new blades and possibly two cans of glass cleaner, that spray glue tint shops use is sticky and messy. I work top to bottom and making sure I get it all off or your windows will stick going up and down. Good luck . Be happy its not your rear window
My bad Lujan, I see we are almost on exact same page . Didn't read other replies when I had posted

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
You need heat...steam if you can get it. Black plastic trash bags, spray bottle with window cleaner with ammonia in it, extra ammonia added to it if you can, brand new razor blades.
Park the car outside with the windows up on a sunny day, let the windows get hot to touch, cut the bags so they can lay flat on the glass, spray with the cleaner, stick the bags to the glass, close the door and let it get hot again, about 20 min. Then take a blade and go at one of the corners. The heat and ammonia should react with the glue on the tint and make it release. If done right and you used good tint in the first place, it will come off in one piece.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok a, so the tent peeled off fairly easily in one large piece kama maybe this is due to the fact that I did have it professionally done at a reputable shop. The glue on the other hand, is a pain in the butt. The passenger window is ready for some Windex after an hour of scrubbing with goo gone. Ran out of steam on the drivers side, I will tackle it tomorrow at work lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its cool pony killer, at least i know im not the only one who does it this way.

If you scrape it with a razor blade and cleaner, then it should come off very easily. The razor wont scratch your window unless you you really dig an edge into which wont happen unless you do it on purpose.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Don't know if I would of used goo gone although I understand your thought in it. Its messy but shouldn't be that hard to scrape off. Spray the top of the window with the recommend cleaner and fresh razor.I've had to use quite a bit of glass cleaner to keep it lubricated. From time to time I'd take a towel and wipe off some of the crap that's fallen on the door panel. Its a little bit of a pain in the arrsss but sounds like the goo gone may be drying up to quick or something to be giving you a hassle. I've never tried goo gone.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Angel , from what I watched. no glue to deal with ? That would help ,especially a back window with defrosting lines. Glue is the only real bitch to deal with on doors. Its been a few months since I did it but I used a lot of glass cleaner and steel whool , that sucked . Door windows weren't to bad. Did those pretty quick. If I recall it was a half hour or so for the doors. No more then two hours to do the car I did . I got paid for two hours labor and that's why I kinda remember. Never saw the garbage bag trick. Kinda cool if you don't have to deal with all the glue.
Oh I did doors with razor but rear with the wool due to the defroster lines

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
I also have heard about the trash bag method. Never tried it, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts