Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Does any have a oil they think is best to use when it is hot that will help
Don't know about best, but here is what I use. I run 5w-40 Delo synthetic diesel oil in summer and 5w30 Mobil 1, Or pennzoil platinum in winter. I know a lot of guy who run Rotella 15w-40 all summer in LS motors.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ordinary Mobile 1 5w-30 is best for any time of year. You can also use 0w40 if you like. It has a higher zinc content and is ideal for cammed cars.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just put in m1 0w40 and night and day difference with engine noise and much better oil pressure. Car sounded like bad case of poison slap and now nothing. Oil pressure was always lower than i liked and now perfect. And the quality of the oil is supposed to be great because its german spec oil.

·
Registered
922 Posts
use to use 0-40 for my viper truck i might go back to it in the g8 now

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
5 w 30 year round for me too.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
If other oil grades were better for the engine, wouldn't GM recommend them? Strictly speaking for warranty, they specify the oil with the best protection for it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If other oil grades were better for the engine, wouldn't GM recommend them? Strictly speaking for warranty, they specify the oil with the best protection for it.
To an extent. They specify an oil an oil for fuel mileage, noise, and wear. Does all three, but none well. I prefer a little thicker synthetic oil to cover the noise and wear part. I could care less about loosing .2mpg. It's not hard to specify an oil to get past the 100k warranty on modern pushrod engines. I've seen engines with 150k enignes doing 20k oil changes come in and be all sludged up but the cylinder walls and cam look as good as new.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I will never put 5w30 in again. The results are night and day for me. My car had piston slap even while fully warm, And its gone. Oil pressure is perfect. Car runs smoother!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use 5w 30 mobile one extended performance all year round and a lucas oil synethic stablizer

·
Moonshine Racing'
162 Posts
Interesting to read about the 0-40w. I do like how it has more zinc in the oil. Anyone else using the 0-40? I like the idea of more pressure and less noise

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm using the (German) Castrol Edge with SPT 0W-30.

Formerly know as (German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
5w30 all year long.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Formerly know as (German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30.
That is one of the brand that my wife's VW calls for; except is 0 W 40

Even her VW Bug has an Oil Cap that says Castrol on it :D

Any body else think that is a good weight for the L76 ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
castrol 0w30. run it in my Camaro and G8. I have stock piled it over the years. change the oil every 5k miles. year round.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Gosh, don't we love oil threads, Bertolli Extra virgin, year round... Lol.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Anyone has a UOA for 0w40 oil that proves it works better than the recommended 5w30?
A UOA wont prove very much. The brand of oil makes a bigger difference than the viscosity. FWIW, I don't think I ever heard/seen of engine failure due to wrong oil weight. Now, VVT starts working weird with the wrong weight, but that wont cause engine failure.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts