Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No intention to duplicate any existing threads, since I didn't find one quite the same as my question.

I am in Canada (Ontario) and have a base model G8 (V6) with the factory 18" rims. I have a second set of rubber plus steel for winter. I am planning on getting new rubber for the summer season to replace the Goodyear Eagle RSAs which are on the factory rims and have about 68,000 km on them or so and not too much tread left.

I see Canadian Tire is running some promotions the last couple weeks where you get the 4th tire free. Sort of. The pricing on the website is actually the per tire price and they discounted it in such a way that it's like getting the 4th free. You still play the install/balancing fee and the eco fee and tax of course on each tire.

Yesterday the sale tires changed to a new couple brands. Up until yesterday, the sale tire was the General Tire G Max one and it was on for $179 each. This came to $918 out the door once all was said and done. I wasn't convinced on what I would be getting with the General Tire, so I didn't pull the trigger.

In the flyer today, I see that it is now the Goodyear Eagle GT that is at $200 per tire and that total would be around $1,000. There is also a BFGoodrich G Force that is at $213 plus a $50 rebate if you buy four, so it is a very similar price.

Any suggestions on General Tire G Max versus the Goodyear Eagle GT versus the BFGoodrich G Force? I had no complaints with the Goodyear Eagle RSAs that were on there, but they are quite expensive at the moment. I also would rather stick to a V speed rating as I like to go with the original design/engineering when possible and have no interest in doing anything wild or fast with my car on a track or something. I liked the handling with the original tires and don't need to change it just for the sake of change.

I did note on my RSAs that it seems the tread depth is lower towards the outside edge of the rubber and a bit thicker on the inside side (on all four even after having them rotated in some sort of inconsistent way over the first four years I have had this car). I am wondering if this is due to an alignment issue as it is not seemingly from over or under inflation? Canadian Tire will do an alignment for half price ($50 instead of $100) if you buy four tires and I think at 108,000 km on the car it would be a good idea.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Between your choices , I'd go with the G Force.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Have you looked at Cooper RS3's? Very good tire for the price, but no sure of your availability.

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. G Force is definitely getting consideration. I hadn't seen the Cooper ones you mentioned, but they are on the Canadian Tire website as well and only about $40 more per tire, so also worth consideration in terms of getting the most value for the money.

I'm not quite sure I agree with a blanket statement of don't get tires from Canadian Tire, get them from a tire shop. I feel you can have good and bad experiences at either, and I have had each of those myself in the past. To me, it matters more what sort of trust you have in the person you are dealing with, rather than simply what the name of the business is on the sign out front.

I don't know Justin at Kipling Tire, so I can't comment on what sort of experience one would expect there. I do know I am about 3 hours from Toronto shops, and the Canadian Tire in my town is about a 5 minute walk from my front door. I was hoping to hear from other G8 owners what kinds of tires they found to be good, rather than leaving it up to tire website reviews from people I don't know nor know what kind of car they have or how they drive it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had the the comp 1s on my old car and loved them, so I'm partial to the BFGs. Great in the wet, quiet and IMO, an awesome looking tread pattern.

·
I maek mah avitar :3
338 Posts
I hate Goodyears...

I recently installed Hankook Ventus V12s and they are amazing. We had a massive dump of rain the last few days and they still hold their grip. Very impressive tires.

My set of RSAs scared me and I've never had good luck with Goodyears on any of my cars. With the Hankooks, I feel safer and they aren't wild unless you want them to be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Goodyear F1 Asymmetric

Bought 4 of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Seasons for my V6 G8 and am pretty happy with them. Wet and dry traction are exceptional and noise is quiet enough for now. Only have about 1500 miles on them so they're not really broken in yet. 245/45-18 are big freaking tires!

Had some slick roads the other day (snow on April 21?) here in Buffalo early in the day and had no problem...no it wasn't 6in just enough to make the roads slick where I was.

·
understeer
213 Posts
Had my bfgs shipped from Montreal to ottawa and installed by a friend...great deal. Call john at Talontire. He has prices online too. Alot of manufacturers have mail in rebates on right now too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts