Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I've been on here. But last fall we had a pretty big rain storm come through. I got in my car while it was still raining and noticed there was like a half inch of standing water in the back seat of my car. So I was kinda happy that I found out why my car would smell musty sometimes after a rain. I could never figure out why before. But anyway I was interested why it leaked so bad and where it was coming from. So I went through a high pressured car wash and saw that some water actually came through the sunroof which isn't that big of a deal I'm sure it happens. But then I saw it was leaking out from under the glove box next to the door. So I did some reading and a lot of what I saw said the drains might be plugged so I took a wire clothes hanger and gently pushed in the drain hole of the passenger side and it didn't take long before it had poked through the headliner, like I pushed the drain tube off. So I pulled off the A-pillar cover and found out there was no tube there, and there was also water sitting in the A-pillar.
I then took the car to my local GM dealership for an oil change and asked them if they could look at it. I told them there was no drain tube there. And it would leak on the floor. They did their thing I came back to pick it up they said that it was the sunroof seal that let rain in that was kinda a given. But they didn't even look at the drain tube. They told me they couldn't order a sunroof seal because they don't make them.. so **** out of luck there.
What really pissed me off was that they left the car outside over night with rain in the forecast. Sure enough when I picked up the car the next morning it was wet in the floor. I was lookin at the car when I got home later And when they left it outside someone stole the antenna... I should have called them about that but I never did.
Long story short I need a part # for the sunroof drain tube. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
MY gosh, are you forgiving. Since I have never had any trouble with my sunroof, I can only guess what components make up the forward (or aft) drain line plumbing. My mind says that going down the pillar would be a rigid line, and that there is a fixed drain attach port (as part of the sunroof track assembly). Between those 2 locations would be a flex tube (like vinyl or rubber) connecting the 2 rigid pieces together. If you think that flex section is the missing part, they show it as available from GM sources for about $8. Left an right sides use the same part #92191853. The sunroof seal for the G8 is no longer available # 92199669 (but looking up history on sunroofs) "wolfman1192" posted a thread that said a friend of his needed that very part. So he suggested that he try the SS version #92237346 an it worked perfectly. It goes for about $31

·
Registered
196 Posts
On my car the flex tube was pinched by the roof panel. This likely happened during the assembly of the car. To fix this I needed to remove the a,b, and c pillars, remove the sun visors, seat belt pillar bolts and lower the roof panel just enough to move the flex tube to a new position where it did not get pinched by the roof panel. This work requires delicate hands or some plastic pieces could break upon removal. This job is not always done diligently by the dealership.

If you got to this link http://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/234298-water-leak-driver-side-footwell.html
check out the pics at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My sunroof leaked and water would run out of the bottom of the dash and drip on my left foot when driving. I did the same thing "eqs" did with dropping the headliner down a little to inspect the drain tube. When I had a little gap above the headliner I poured an ounce or two of water down the sunroof drain hole and watched to find the leak point. Mine was leaking where the rubber drain tube inserts into tube running down the a pillar. The drain was not plugged because some of the water would drain the whole way through and exit behind the front wheel like its supposed to. "GOPHERIT" is correct, The drain tube in the a pillar is steel and rigidly mounted to the a pillar, (at least at the drain hose coupling interface) but the rubber tube was not inserted very far into it. I pulled one end out and the hose had a crease in it creating an obvious leak path.

I massaged the hose end to make it round again, put some silicone sealant around the outside diameter, and inserted it deeper into the friction fitting. Tested it after the silicone dried by pouring water down the sunroof drain hole again and then put everything back together. I know my condition was not the same as yours but hopefully this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts