Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Wondering what exhaust you would choose. A super 44 or slp powerflo? I want a deep sounding exhaust that's not to Loud in the interior. Have a kid on the way but def want an exhaust. Which do you think would be best sounding and give me that awesome v8 rumble.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Solo axlebacks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Exhaust note is very subjective... you are best to find local G8/Camaro owners with different systems and see what you like most.

*Cat-back/Axle-back only*
Quiet: Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers OR SLP Powerflo mufflers
Moderate: SOLO Mach Balanced OR Corsa system
Loud: SOLO Mach Shorty Unbalanced

*Headers*
Quiet: Dynomax Superturbos OR OEM GT mufflers OR OEM GXP mufflers
Moderate: SLP Powerflo OR SOLO Mach Balanced
Loud: SOLO Mach Short Unbalanced OR Dynomax Bullet mufflers

All options above will be much throatier than fully-stock. My personal opinion of Flowmasters (and SpinTech since we are on the topic) is that they are a poorly built product with a poor design and a very hollow sound that is meant to emulate long-tube headers when you don't actually have them. Magnaflow, Dynomax/Walker/Hooker/Thrush, Corsa, SOLO and Borla are all vastly superior in regards to construction and design.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
OP, search for the word Drone on here and you will find thousands of threads. With that being said the two you mentioned fall under the drone category for Axlebacks. I wish it was as easy as pick this one, or pick that, but its not. Everyone has different tastes. You might want to look into Cutouts? Why? So you can keep it stock quiet for your sleeping baby and then on weekends or when its just you open them up and turn heads everywhere you go. Good luck either way you go, and for the record I will second the Solo Axlebacks. I had them on when I was stock and they were very mild mannered but sounded bad ass when you got on the throttle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cant speak for the FMs but I've got the Powerflos and I like the tone. They are very quiet on a stock system tho. I've got the mid. muff resonator deleted with an xpipe so it gives it a few more decibels. Its a nice deep, smooth tone, but yes it has some drone. I take my 20 month old son to daycare everyday and he hasnt complained yet. :) My next mod is some custom j-pipes to kill the drone.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Give the Hooker Aero chamber mufflers a try and let us know how it works out...please?

The biggest differences between mufflers out there aside from drone, is you have "chambered" mufflers that the sounds you hear are "engineered" through baffles/chambers and then you have "straight through" mufflers (Hooker MaxFlows, Dynatech, super turbos, etc.) that just control volume levels but don't alter the tone/sound of the exhaust as much.

I am going with the Hooker Maximum Flows, although I wish I could have the Aero Chambers, just worried about drone.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
I like my Flowmasters with the drone-eliminator pipe installed. SLP Powerflo is a good sounding muffler also.....

Put a Magnaflow tru-x muffler in place of the factory mid-muffler and any muffler will sound good without drone, even Solo axles-backs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exhaust note is very subjective... you are best to find local G8/Camaro owners with different systems and see what you like most.

*Cat-back/Axle-back only*
Quiet: Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers OR SLP Powerflo mufflers
Moderate: SOLO Mach Balanced OR Corsa system
Loud: SOLO Mach Shorty Unbalanced

*Headers*
Quiet: Dynomax Superturbos OR OEM GT mufflers OR OEM GXP mufflers
Moderate: SLP Powerflo OR SOLO Mach Balanced
Loud: SOLO Mach Short Unbalanced OR Dynomax Bullet mufflers

All options above will be much throatier than fully-stock. My personal opinion of Flowmasters (and SpinTech since we are on the topic) is that they are a poorly built product with a poor design and a very hollow sound that is meant to emulate long-tube headers when you don't actually have them. Magnaflow, Dynomax/Walker/Hooker/Thrush, Corsa, SOLO and Borla are all vastly superior in regards to construction and design.
So do you feel solo is deeper than the slp?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like my Flowmasters with the drone-eliminator pipe installed. SLP Powerflo is a good sounding muffler also.....

Put a Magnaflow tru-x muffler in place of the factory mid-muffler and any muffler will sound good without drone, even Solo axles-backs.
What type of flowmasters do you run?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.