Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the super pro SPF-1590AK strut mount bushings.
The issue is that the passenger side is 1/4" higher than the driver side measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender lip.
Not sure which reading should be right.
Passenger side is 15 1/2"
Driver side 15 1/4"

These are stock springs and shocks by the way.
The struts are clocked correctly with the notch facing the engine.
The spring is seated correctly.
I also made sure to tighten the bolts of the sway bar links with the weight of the car on the wheels.

Is there anything else I have over looked?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Did you take this measurement after you have driven the car?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I have. It's been a few weeks now since the install. And have taken measurements a few times now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The springs are starting to sag likely... Or one of the springs is not seated properly at the top of the strut.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the springs are seated correctly. I will post a pic of the strut tops and it seems one is slightly higher than the other.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I can guarantee that there is not a 1/4” difference in the height of the two mounts. Something like the mount didn’t seat properly on the spring plate, or the over 10 year old springs , one has sagged more. Is the distance between the strut tower and the retainer plate the same both sides? What did you do with the washers from the old mounts? Could there be a double washer under the mount on the strut shaft?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how to measure the distance between the strut tower and the retainer plate. How do I do that?
I used only the 4 new washers supplied by super pro. The curved washer is oriented per instructions and the flat is for the nut up top.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
If you take the "flying saucers" off, check and see if the strut top mounts are sitting in the socket the same on both sides.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Don't know how to adequately frame the question, so will just go ahead and ask...what's the story behind the dirt and debris in the engine bay?

Reactions: 5litrarag

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My entire car is coated in fluid film to prevent rust. I'm in Western NY where salt would eat it. That looks worse than it is. Fluid film stays wet and attracts dirt particles.
No way I'm dealing with rust as it a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Aye aye captain and appreciate the clarification.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
Almost seems by the picture that the mounts aren't sitting in the socket the same, dirt or left over rubber from the previous mounts left in the socket, I know PITA but I would take them out clean the sockets really well and put them back in and see if that helps.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem Pony Man. I do take out the small leaves that accumulate this time of year. The fluid film can be removed with a pressure washer pretty easily. Rusty bolts, rusted parts can be a real problem in these parts. I think you know what I mean :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mounts were pretty clean when I checked prior to install. There was a good 1/2" difference between the super pro and the stock mounts. But the stock mounts were definitely collapsed and the bearings were in tact except they were dry.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
If you take the little black caps off, do you have the equal amount of threads showing on both sides.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I do I checked that on install. I made sure the second nut that holds the strut mount bottomed out. Hard to tell which is the right height here.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
Possibly as stated earlier, maybe one spring is weaker than the other? Could swap springs and see if it follows.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Were your wheels straight when you took the pic?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts