Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Then the only thing left is to swap the whole strut/spring assembly to the other sides and see if that levels the car. Now I don’t have a good level spot in my driveway. Bring the tape to the gas station next time . Measure there before you do anymore

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
Then the only thing left is to swap the whole strut/spring assembly to the other sides and see if that levels the car.
How can the entire strut assembly be swapped when they're designated front left and front right?

Reactions: GXP25

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Yup,should have finished my coffee before I posted that one. o_O

Reactions: GXP25

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
How can the entire strut assembly be swapped when they're designated front left and front right?
I believe they're only designated that way for the brake line and abs sensor wire connections/mounts on the strut body.

But it would probably be a good test to see if the problem moves to the other side.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you for the replies. The pics were taken at my work garage and it does have concrete floor. I have checked the measurements in different places and they seem to be the same. Also I think my wheels were straight when I took the picture but the angle in which I took the picture with my phone could show that one is off but it really is not the case. Either way the right strut plate seems to be higher by about 1/16" then the left plate.
And when you place the strut on the car the bushing can only be seated inside the cup. There is really no wiggle room there.

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
Original poster, did you mark/notate the alignment of the strut to the spring perch?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Are you referring to the the notch on the plate pointing to the engine? If that then yes.
Maybe I should re-check to be sure it could have gone out of alignment when assembling? However I did check it when the nut that holds the bushing is was tightened down.
Can I tell if the notch is in the right place without removing the strut? I'll have to check.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
The spring seated correctly and didn't shift on the top spring seat?
20201028_130502.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I see what you mean here. I think the spring might not entirely be touching the stop there it might be off by 1/2". I'll post a pic later.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
The second picture looks like it may be off a little, not sure if it's enough to give the 1/2 inch difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't think so either honestly. Only thing I can do is re-clock the notch that faces the engine. I checked this before installing it.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
A pain in the butt, but you could always swap the springs only from side to side and see what happens.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
286 Posts
Springs are the same, struts are not.

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
Couldn't the height of the spring or strut assembly be measured in lieu of swapping the springs?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Should have mentioned this in my earlier reply but the driver side the strut tip is definitely tilted and off center as shown by the top plate.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
They have to come out to see what is wrong. Struts are the same height, springs are a variable. With one tilted I suspect the spring plate is off or the mount bearing is broken and not sitting flat. Measuring does nothing. The springs fully extend the strut, no difference to measure

21 - 40 of 58 Posts