Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed quite a few people haven't been able to find their CAI tune when running the updating program. I just had the same problem so I called Superchips and they told me to expand the window of the update program. Sure enough when I did that the Volant tune appeared, and I was able to update my tuner. So make sure you click the middle button in the top right hand corner of the window to fully expand it, then you can scroll down to find the tune you need.

I just updated from v125 to v136, so if you haven't updated your tuner for a while you might want to check it out. I read on another board that v136 makes our car run much stronger, so I'm gonna load it into my car and I'll let everyone know if that's true. I will also give some feedback if it improved the hard 2-3 shift than many of you are having.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem Shawn. I just got back from a drive with the v136 tune and it seems to shift better. I have the shift torque set at 25% with the 93 Volant tune and the 2-3 wasn't too hard in full auto mode. In manual mode the 2-3 shift was firm but not too hard either. I wasn't able to test the power output since it's cold and traction wasn't that good, but it does seem a little more responsive than the v125 tune I was running before. I'll give it a good week to settle in and report back with some feedback on the new tune.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Thanks Don,

Great post! Thansk for the info, as I had just searched for the answer to this very question.

I just brought my Cortex in, and hooked it into my computer after not "updating it" since before the CAI tunes came out.

I had been running v1.15 this entire time. Just downloaded the free Data Ack tool, and will be looking to upgrade to a Varam CAI tune set.

I was pretty happy with the non-cai tune on my v1.15 setup, but am excited to see what the latest and greatest version does to the car.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
UPDATE: Actually, I think I have a problem.

If someone never "ordered" the superchips CAI tunes, how to download them?

When I run the updater v2.0.0.66 the only options that I get are "Advanced Data Acquisition" and "Tuner Unlock" -- no option for browsing CAI tunes or whatnot. I verified that my superchips easy update program is maximized, so it doesn't seem to be just hiding.

Did I miss something?

Do I need to call them to activate this or something?

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
ok, after I updated the tuner and added the rotofab and the 93 tunes, how do i load it on the car. when I go through the procedure, i only see stock, stock with options, 87, 91, and 93 tunes. none of them say rotofab. is the 93 automatically the rotofab tune? Help!

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
UPDATE: Actually, I think I have a problem.

If someone never "ordered" the superchips CAI tunes, how to download them?

When I run the updater v2.0.0.66 the only options that I get are "Advanced Data Acquisition" and "Tuner Unlock" -- no option for browsing CAI tunes or whatnot. I verified that my superchips easy update program is maximized, so it doesn't seem to be just hiding.

Did I miss something?

Do I need to call them to activate this or something?
I'm not sure as I haven't needed to change anything with my setup.
Go ahead and give them a call (888.227.2447), and please post the results for others that may have this problem.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
ok, after I updated the tuner and added the rotofab and the 93 tunes, how do i load it on the car. when I go through the procedure, i only see stock, stock with options, 87, 91, and 93 tunes. none of them say rotofab. is the 93 automatically the rotofab tune? Help!
With the Rotofab CAI tune added, the Cortex should read: Rotofab93, Rotofab91, Rotofab87. You can try downloading the CAI tune again, as it may take 2 times.....and if all else fails, give them a call (888.227.2447)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'm not sure as I haven't needed to change anything with my setup.
Go ahead and give them a call (888.227.2447), and please post the results for others that may have this problem.
SRG -- figured it out... thanks. Seems that last time I flashed my 1.15 version it was flashed to stock instead of 87 perf tune. Just went to the parking garage and flashed from stock to 87 perf advanced v1.37 and then plugged in the tuner to my PC once again, and now all the CAI tunes show up.

Since I don't yet have a CAI, I will hold off for now for safety of my car. Just wanted to ensure that I could find them if need be. They all show up now for "being available to put into cart" which is exactly what I'm looking for.

My b-day in April can't come soon enough -- although with the winter snows on the car now, it's probably better that I'm not scratching 1-2 and 2-3 as we're forcast to have 1-2 feet of snow by tomorrow morning. At least we have the equipment to clear the snow... unlike some of the other states that got hit by this recent storm!

Thanks DR and SRG -- you guys are both very valuable to this forum for newbe questions like I asked! lol

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Yes, your car must be tuned to one of the performance tunes before you can download a CAI tune. This is the only way the Cortex knows what additional downloads to provide for that specific vehicle :)

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doug put some 93 octane in that puppy and load up the 93 generic performance tune to see what your car can do. Don't be scared!

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
Thanx srg, got it working. 91 rotofab loaded. 93 will be loaded tomorrow when I burn the rest of this crap gas.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Doug put some 93 octane in that puppy and load up the 93 generic performance tune to see what your car can do. Don't be scared!
Don,

Thats the plan for over the summer, but with the local Buffalo "Winter Mix" with more ethanol I think I'll stick with 87 for now, especially since I have to let the car warm up a bit more this time of year.

Plus, in April I wanna get my Volant, that will motivate me to go all the way to '93 for a big boost!

:driving:

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see your point Doug, and good choice on the Volant. I really like mine!

·
Poor man's 5 Series BMW
326 Posts
I just did an update and have v137.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Same here... I'm at 137.

I noticed they re-worked the main tuning menu. On my old 1.15 the choices were 'stock', '87 perf' and '91 perf' ... now they offer "stock with options" where you can tweak a few settings from stock but retain all other characteristics.

Wonder what the difference (if any) from [stock with options with DoD off] VERSES [87 perf with stock shiftpoints, stock fans, stock TQM, and DoD off] would be. The latter is how I used to do it through 'advanced tune' for my winter tune, as to not have annoying DoD but also not have the annoying "powershift spins me out into a ditch when roads are messy".

I like the update to 1.37. Haven't driven much yet with it, (and I have many other variables now, with the new in-testing high flow cats, shhhh) and from what I remember, the old v1.15 didn't have the harsh shifting that some complained about. Then and again, even when I perf tuned it (I call it my "summer tune") I always hit the responsible "25% shift torque" as to not abuse my drivetrain *too much*.

--zepcom

·
Registered
237 Posts
Let me get this straight guys....when I get the tuner I should tune the car to the 93 performance tune and then update the tuner to RotoFab 93 and then go back in the car and retune? I am buying one of these this weekend and just want to be sure. Do the Extra tuning options cost anything to download? Thanks guys.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's right Tony, and the extra CAI tunes are free.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey all! I have the RotoFab CAI 91 tune in my car right now and the 2-3 shift is annoying me. I have the transmission set to stock and it still acts differently(harsh when not full throttle) than when it was a stock tune. Is there something I can do to fix the problem? Also, how do I know if the tuner is up to date? I plugged it in and added the data acq. tool but nothing else happened. The main page of the program says everything is up to date. Do I need to plug it in to know if the car is running the most recent version? Thanks.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Superchips is supposed to release revised trans tuning files in the near future. Some of us have the hard 2-3 shift and hopefully the new revisions will fix that. If you plug the tuner into your PC and run the updating program and it says it's up to date, then you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts