Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the the Superchips 2950 Cortex still the tuner to buy for this car? I am looking at picking up a second hand one and asked the seller some questions. They replied:

"I would recommend it to be used on a vehicle that is maintained by the owner, and does not go to dealerships for service or maintenance. The reason for this is that SC no longer supports their legacy product with new calibrations, and if a dealer were to flash a new cal into your car, the programmer would no longer work, as the new file will not be supported in this, and other legacy products. You would then need to use a 2845 which is the latest product offered."

The lack of support on this unit is giving me pause. I take the car to the dealer to do recalls and some fluid changes but I don't believe they flash calibrations into the car for free or for no reason. Is what they are saying true and is there a way to determine car compatibility with this tuner or should I get a 2845? I was reading that people here are not as happy with the superchips 2845 flashpaq f5 tuner due to lack of tunes, not to mention it's more expensive. I think I can still get the Cortex for less than $230.

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get the 2950, it works great. If you ever have to go to the dealer, just restore the stock tune before going. It's easy enough to flash back and forth. There are a few large thread son this forum about it so you can learn as much as you need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my car about a year ago and ran the Superchips for 6 months. I would recommend against it personally.

-The software is complete garbage. Doesn't work properly. I had to contact them to have the rotofab tunes added to my account - software wouldn't let me buy them.
-The tunes are alright. I never dyno'd but didn't seem any faster. Better throttle response maybe. Trans shifts were much better. But they don't touch max torque in gears/rpm or brake torque limits, so you still can't really do burnouts on stock gears.

I ended up buying HPTuners to change what i want to change. No regrets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
They are just simple generic tunes, but the trans shifting part is great, Ours were the Mule Cars for Superchips G8 tuner in Oct. 2009

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
...so you still can't really do burnouts on stock gears...
Sure you can. At least, mine can. It did when stock, and still does with the minor mods I've done, including Cortex 2950.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sure you can. At least, mine can. It did when stock, and still does with the minor mods I've done, including Cortex 2950.
I mean, you can, but not like you can once you disable brake torque limiting and gear vs rpm torque limiting.

Five minutes with HPTuners and the car will happily shred its tires on hot, dry tarmac with sticky tires even from a roll. The burnouts stock and with the Cortex were fairly pathetic in comparison because it was programmed to not do burnouts.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Maybe, but a little brake and a lot of gas seems to do the job just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts