Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the alternator and battery in mine. But now I have a slight surge at idle.
Anyone else have had a surging issue?
I think there was a thread about it long time ago.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Presuming everything was done properly, it could be the vehicle is trying to relearn its idle and reverted to stored (preset) parameters for various values versus actual (real-life) values when the battery was disconnected. If this is the case, the idle should stabilize in a matter of minutes. Are there any on-board diagnostic code(s) present or lights illuminated on the dashboard?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Presuming everything was done properly, it could be the vehicle is trying to relearn its idle and reverted to stored (preset) parameters for various values versus actual (real-life) values when the battery was disconnected. If this is the case, the idle should stabilize in a matter of minutes. Are there any on-board diagnostic code(s) present or lights illuminated on the dashboard?
Yes it was done properly. I cleaned the TB. No codes no nothing . Im going to go over it tomorrow again.
My feeling is the relearning.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sounds great and no harm in reviewing prior work. By the way, the G8 V6 has a throttle body relearn procedure and can attempt to unearth the information if you think it would be useful. However, it might take some doing to find the thread/post.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great and no harm in reviewing prior work. By the way, the G8 V6 has a throttle body relearn procedure and can attempt to unearth the information if you think it would be useful. However, it might take some doing to find the thread/post.
Thanx bro I will let you know. I've had is apart many times times but never had this surging happen.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have the relearn procedure that may help. I've got the larger TB and intake so maybe it still works with the Tune. I've got the battery disconnected now, let it sit and see if it helps or not.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Throttle Learn

Description

The engine control module (ECM) learns the idle position of the throttle body to ensure the correct idle operation. Anytime the ECM or the throttle body is replaced, the ECM must learn the idle position. The engine idle may be unstable or a DTC may set if the idle position is not learned.

Conditions for Running the Idle Learn Procedure

- DTCs P0121, P0122, P0123, P0221, P0222, P0223, P0638, P2100, P2101, P2105, and P2119 are not set.
- The engine speed is less than 40 RPM.
- The vehicle speed is 0 km/h (0mph).
- The accelerator pedal position is less than 14.9 percent.
- The ignition 1 voltage is more than 10 volts.
- The engine coolant temperature is between 5-85 degree Celsius (41-185 degrees Fahrenheit).
- The intake air temperature is between 5-60 degrees Celsius (41-140 degrees Fahrenheit).

Idle Learn Procedure

Note:
- Ensure the above conditions are met before performing with this procedure.
- Do not perform this procedure if a throttle position (TP) sensor or other throttle actuator control (TAC) system DTCs are set other than P2176. The ECM will not perform the idle leanr procedure with a DTC set.

1. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 60 seconds.
3. Turn OFF the ignition.
4. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
5. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks bro I will do that

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pony man great info thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts