Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Do a search, lots of threads on it, some owners have done the swap because they're V6 crapped out or they wanted to upgrade to a V8.
At the end of the day if you want a G8 with a 6.0L or 6.2L V8 trade or sell your V6 for a GT or GXP.
Probably be cheaper in the long run.

·
every village has one
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it possible to swap v6 for V8 maybe like 4.8l or 5.3 or has anyone done it at all
Can it be done? Absolutely, I've seen someone even rocking an LT1 V8. Your only limit to anything as always is... money. Now for the price of it; is it worth it? If you honestly ask me, the answer is HHEEELLLLLLL NNNOOOOO!!!

IF you are planning on forever keeping the car and can get your hands on a few cheap wrecked GTs (One with front end and one with rear end) and have tools/know-how on how to do the transplant, then yeah you can do that pretty cheap...ish. But honestly, even that will still be far more expensive than just buying a GT.

You see a V6 and a V8 (GT and GXP) are essentially different cars. Only similarities they hold is the body(shell) and interior. To put a V8 on a base car you need to change: engine (duh), Transmission, drive-shaft, possibly fuel system/lines, new wiring, rear diff, exhaust, all mounts, adjust/upgrade suspension/brakes, and pray to all deities that accessories will line-up/work with the new set up.

And thats BEFORE you run into the #1 real problem, you see being a post 90's era car it has computers that take care of tranny, engine, and all matter of internal electronics. You can take a GT and drop an LS3 or almost any other LS motor into it (Assuming the reluctor wheel is the same and sensors fit) and it is pretty much a plug`n-play. Because the engines are in the same family, they should be able to run on the car's ECU with slight modifications/tuning. But, V6 is on a different ECU, it also uses different transmission (Different TCU). Now if this was an old-school car, you can say "F-it!" and just replace the ECU and TCU and call it a day. However, on modern cars you have another module, BCM which is essentially cars brain. If you change the ECU and TCU, BCM will not work with them because it was never designed/programmed to run with them, so you'll be dead in the water. So if you want things in the car to work correctly you will need to reprogram not 1 but 3 modules, to make sure they all talk to each other. Or in worst case piddy-back emulate, which will carry its own host of problems (expenses).

Now assuming it all goes off right, it is a bad investment. With all these mods you can expect that car to sell for less than a regular base car, you will lose almost all the money that you will put in. (Hence why I said that it might be worth it if you will never get rid of it.) Unless the mods are done by some really famous big name tuner, everyone will assume that it was done by Bubbah in his backyard, and you will get low-balled all day everyday.

Now here is an interesting question. What do you want to do with your car and what are your goals? Do you want that V8 sound? How much HP are you looking to get? Sometimes it might be cost effective to actually take that V6 and see if you can sup it up for more HP. Or just sell it and get a GT. Nowadays with this car being at the bottom of it's depreciation curve you can pickup a decent one at around $12,000-$18,000 range. If you expect to mod the **** out of it, then I'd recommend getting one with clapped out interior for sub $10,000 and have fun.

As for GXP, well I'd just forget about it. Even before all auto-collector sites declared it a modern classic (Thus guaranteeing that you will never get one cheap.) GXPs always sold around $25,000 - $35,000 range. Maybe if your lucky and some fool is selling a heavily modded GXP; you might get a deal and dip below $25,000 range, but honestly these things are just so rare/desirable that even wrecked one will easily sell above $10,000. (Guess how I know)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely want the V8 sound and power I'm looking maybe 450 to 550 nothing super crazy I plan on keeping the car as long as I can but I have thought about the swap and I have decided against it it sounds good talking about it but my wallet would hate me. Is there mods for the v6 pretty much have only found exhaust and tune

·
Registered
102 Posts
Definitely want the V8 sound and power I'm looking maybe 450 to 550 nothing super crazy I plan on keeping the car as long as I can but I have thought about the swap and I have decided against it it sounds good talking about it but my wallet would hate me. Is there mods for the v6 pretty much have only found exhaust and tune
That power range might be achievable with FI. I'd recommend looking up the engine, and see what other GM cars it went into. Maybe one of them got a performance upgrade for it that you can use. (G6 ironically, and 5th gen camaro might be the most likely suspects.) G8 and 5th gen Camaro are relatives (Both share Zeta chassis.) and share a lot of structural architecture, so what works for them might actually work for you.

Also look up Commodore SV6 forums(G8 base, in Aussie land). Alloytec v6 is built in Australia and thus there might be more support there for it than our Murican V8's (Built in mexico lol).

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
439 Posts
There are mods you can do to your base G8 to help it out a bit. A good cold air intake and a nice flowing exhaust will help quite a bit. There are also headers, cams, intake spacers, etc.

I plan on dropping a 6.0 in my base model but not until the V6 gives up the ghost.

I installed a K&N cold air intake, a Magnaflow True X and Magnaflow axle back exhaust with dual tips and also had it tuned. Huge difference imho.

Good luck to you and let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
There are mods you can do to your base G8 to help it out a bit. A good cold air intake and a nice flowing exhaust will help quite a bit. There are also headers, cams, intake spacers, etc.

I plan on dropping a 6.0 in my base model but not until the V6 gives up the ghost.

I installed a K&N cold air intake, a Magnaflow True X and Magnaflow axle back exhaust with dual tips and also had it tuned. Huge difference imho.

Good luck to you and let us know what you end up doing!
I'd go 6.2L and not have to worry about 6.0L lifter problems

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
439 Posts
I'd go 6.2L and not have to worry about 6.0L lifter problems
I would prefer to go with a 6.2 but I'm thinking parts would be harder to source, etc. Not really a concern right now as I don't plan on doing it until the original engine is dead. Might be a few years seeing that it's under a 100k and runs like a top.

Until then I'll just be doing nice upgrades to it, keep it clean and enjoy driving it. Brembo upgrade and subframe connectors come spring when she's out of storage.

Reactions: BAS G8

·
Registered
136 Posts
Main g8 gt parts your gonna need is a gt engine bay harness, driveshaft, shifter linkage, trans mount, engine mounts, brake booster, and radiator. Beyond that, you can swap any gen iv ls with 6l80 you want. You just need an e38 ecm to run it and an exhaust system that fits. Your gonna want a stronger limited slip rear too, and bigger brakes on the v6.

V6 engine bay harness runs to the tcm that is on the passenger wide between dash and a pillar. New harness doesn’t, as the 6l80 Tcm is internal. It’s all plug and play, just need efi live and a little brain power to get it running.

Fuel lines are slightly different but there’s aftermarket solutions too, especially if your going for bigger power and need larger lines anyway. If not, you just need both oem lines if you want it to look factory. They were under $100.

Would I ever do it again, probably not. But mines getting an LSA supercharger soon, and all said and done I’m still into it for significantly less than a gxp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts