Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rev above ~3,000 rpm, then lift or shift causing the rpm's fall below 3,000, my tach needle sticks at 3,000 ish... The only way to get it to move is to rev it again above the point where it sticks, but if I do that, it sticks at a higher rpm. It does not do this every time. Then when I shut down, the needle stays at it's stuck point.

Here's where it gets interesting. >> So the engine is now off, the needle points at, say 3500 rpm. I key on the ignition (no start yet), the needle drops down about 300 - 400 rpms. If I key off, it stays at its new position. If I repeat this process countless times, each time the needle drops that same amount, eventually, going back down to 0.

Is my tach toast? I'm assuming it cannot be repaired, that only a cluster replacement is the fix. Am I right? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Can try contacting Chris at White Automotive and Media Services to see if he has any insight on the matter. Alternatively, try checking the instrument panel/cluster fuse. However, such could be pointless especially if the rest of the cluster functions normally. Don't recall another member having the same or a similar issue. It's a long shot, but perhance disconnecting the battery will allow the tachometer to re-calibrate itself. Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything else on the cluster works, only the tach needle sticking at times. I contacted Chris and he said he may be able to repair it.

I have a second metric cluster that I would prefer to use. I sent this pic to him and amazingly, the part number does not correlate to any known cluster... ???

So I am stalled on this at the time...
SS VE Back.jpeg

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Awe fiddlesticks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its probably a bad stepper motor on the back of the tach, ive replaced them on another GM and it wasnt a bad job if you can solder. I think I found replacements on eBay, a full set was around $20, but this was probably 8 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Glt68
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing