Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered tail lights from an online source and this is what the sent me. These have this really heavy bead of uneven glue inside where the clear lens is bonded to the housing. my original lights have glue here also but it's much thinner, neater and far less noticeable.

I was wondering if anyone else here has seen this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Either that or a reman job.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were several other issues with them as well but the glue was the worst one. They took them back but not before I sent them a half dozen emails with pics of all the problems. Oh, and only after I told them that I was disputing the charge with the credit card company.

If these were GM, I just want to be sure that the visible glue isn't what's considered an acceptable standard before I go ordering more from someone else.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, I got some bad news, for me at least.

I contacted another GM parts seller. This one is on eBay that says they are based at an actual GM dealership so their stuff comes straight from GM. I asked them for their dealership info to certify that they are legit.

Anyway... the bad news is that their tail lights look the same way (photo attached). The guy said that he pulled it from their on-hand inventory and opened the box himself. He even sent the attached photo of the box labels to show that it was genuine GM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Thinking out loud later tail lights produced had this glue line as some sort of product re-design or improvement of the previous design.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Just compared my new one bought about this time last year to my original and I too have the extra, or poorly designed glue area. I frankly didn’t notice but now that I see it, it annoys me!
I am sure it is not that bad no one looks up real close the headlights anyways. There are other noticeable things on this car like the seat trim that eventually either breaks or starts separating from the seat.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since we're on the subject of f'd-up tail lights, anyone else have stock tail lights with interior heat damage? Mine are melted from the inside out, which is why I've been looking at getting new tail lights in the first place.

When I bought the car four years ago, I saw that there was some blistering on the top of the chrome ring around the red lens. It was pretty minor and I just attributed it to the age of the car. I think most of us have seen how plated plastics don't hold up very well, especially when exposed to extreme temperatures. I just accepted it as that and learned to live with it.

A year or so later, I decided to upgrade with Spyder tail lights. Lets just say that it didn't work out. So, I went back to the stock tail lights and added LED plug-ins. That was the first time I paid any real attention to the bulb reflector. Right away, I noticed that there was a "shadow" at the 12 o'clock position in the reflector. Since the LEDs are a bit taller than the standard bulb and the lamp holder sits at a slight angle, I thought that it was being caused by a minor but unavoidable misalignment. Better than it was so again, I learned to live with it.

Here we are a couple years later and I'm discovering that the blistered chrome finish wasn't from external heat but internal. It grabbed my attention when I got a new parking space at work where I now walk straight up behind the car everyday when I leave. I always remote-start the car to let the fluids circulate for a minute or two before I roll. As we all know, the tail lights are lit when remote started so I get to see exactly what they look like. Well, that "shadow" almost looked worse so I was starting to worry that the LEDs were burning the reflector. Yes, LEDs generally run much cooler than incans but these are REALLY bright and even LEDs, if bright enough, can get pretty damn hot.

To test my suspicion, I did a little experiment. Using an insulated metal container, I pulled the lamp holder from one tail light and with LED still plugged in, put it inside the container, covered the open top aluminum foil and used a meat thermometer to see how hot the LED got with the brake lights on. The LEDs maxed out at 209F degrees after 10 minutes of continuous full bright (brakes on). I then tried the standard bulbs. They went up to 280F degrees... after only 3 minutes! I did this at night in May so there was no external heat source to affect the results. Since my experiment, I've had the tail lights out for a closer look and found that the red lens and the interior housing are melted as well.

Looking at my findings, I could definitely see how there could be heat damage from the bulb. Those stock tails might have looked cool when they came out but not the greatest technical design. With clear lenses and black interior housing, they're practically solar panels. Thinking about those 95F degree days in August, sitting in rush hour traffic with my foot on the brake pedal 80% of the time. In that confined, unventilated space with the sun blasting it and the heat coming off the pavement, it probably got closer to 400F.

I'd be shocked if this wasn't a common problem among those of us in urban areas with summer temperatures exceeding 90F degrees. With these cars being made in Australia, you would think that they would have been designed to handle hot weather.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Given the difficulty encountered in locating suitable replacement taillights coupled with displeasure for the current set, are base G8 taillights worthy of consideration?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the difficulty encountered in locating suitable replacement taillights coupled with displeasure for the current set, are base G8 taillights worthy of consideration?
What are "base" tail lights?

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
The set of tail lights that came on the G8 V6 (base) which some owners have opted to exchange these (GT) for those (V6).

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The set of tail lights that came on the G8 V6 (base) which some owners have opted to exchange these (GT) for those (V6).
Base (stock) tail lights are what we're talking about. Read the OP and follow the thread. You'll understand once you do.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Base (stock) tail lights are what we're talking about. Read the OP and follow the thread. You'll understand once you do.
Reread everything and still don't follow, but perchance overlooked a key point. The way I read it.. you ordered a set of GT tail lights and was dissatisfied with their quality (post#1). After some back and forth dialogue with the seller they reluctantly accepted the return (post#5). Contacted a different seller and they sent pictures of a brand new GT tail light with the same issue (post#6) as the set that was sent back (post#5). Mentioned the chrome ring melting internally on the GT tail light and referenced poor technical design (post#10). At any rate, hinted at base (stock) G8 V6 tail lights to provide an alternative to the GT tail lights, but don't know if over time they develop a different set of issue(s).

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I think you may be confused here. The terms "base" and "stock" are not interchangeable.

I believe that PONY MAN brought up the "base"/V6 tail lights because they have a red lens (not clear) that would hide/mask the glue that is otherwise visible in the clear lens GT tail lights. Especially considering how a few GT/GXP owners were seeking the V6 tail lights as a swap out years back.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you may be confused here. The terms "base" and "stock" are not interchangeable.

I believe that PONY MAN brought up the "base"/V6 tail lights because they have a red lens (not clear) that would hide/mask the glue that is otherwise visible in the clear lens GT tail lights. Especially considering how a few GT/GXP owners were seeking the V6 tail lights as a swap out years back.

Ah. Ok, I see it now. Honestly, I never really paid attention to what came on the V6. I assumed that they were the same as the V8 and any red tail lights were modified or aftermarket. My apologies PONY MAN.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for "stock" vs "base", I've always seen them used to mean the same thing.

"Original, unmodified equipment installed by the manufacturer at the factory."

The only difference would be "base" refers to the whole vehicle where "stock" would apply to a specific part or feature. But both refer to the vehicle's factory condition.

How would you define the two?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Ah. Ok, I see it now. Honestly, I never really paid attention to what came on the V6. I assumed that they were the same as the V8 and any red tail lights were modified or aftermarket. My apologies PONY MAN.
It's alright. The image he attached was quite small.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts