Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start I have the Spyder tail lights on my car. Ok , I have had the car for about a year but do to being in the military I have just been able to get and inspection done . I went to get my state inspection done , and failed because of my tail lights. The are not smoked out, they are the clear Spyder tail lights.i have read about the other member that got fined for his stock tail lights being on his car. Has anyone else have had problems like this in Maryland, if so what was the resolution?
Thanks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I thought the Spyder taillights were DOT approved? If so I would bring back the proof of that to the inspection station.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are, and has it stamped on them, but they are saying that I don't have any rear side markers, but these tail lights have rear reflecters molded into them I am basically in a help hill fight with the inspection station.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
For a fact, the OEM taillight assemblies came with active rear side marker lamps. One would think that the inspection place also shows this as the way it came from the factory. If they require that you have a functional light at that location vs just the reflector, I'd say you have a big problem on your hands, with that brand of aftermarket light assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info, going to bring it to the inspection station and see wat they say, is there any other options for tail lights besides stockers.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Find a set of used OEM tail lights and swap them out for the Spyder's.
Swap them back after it passes inspection.
An added stupid expense but the state inspectors sorta got you by the you know whats.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Is it possible to take the car to a different state inspection facility or is it already flagged in the system for having improper tail lights?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I have to go back to the same inspection station to get a reinspection, I am located in servern park. Just going possibly go the route of get a set of stock lights

·
Registered
203 Posts
G8welder09 thank you for your military service

here in new jersey the only thing there care about at inspection is if the check engine light is on and monitors are ready

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I have to go back to the same inspection station to get a reinspection, I am located in servern park. Just going possibly go the route of get a set of stock lights
Are you sure? Here in VA you can get it reinspected at the station that failed you for $1, and they only check the item that caused the failure. HOWEVER, you do have the option to start the inspection over at any other inspector for the full price.

EDIT: from the Maryland MVA website, "You have the option of fixing the problem yourself, having the inspection station fix the problem, or taking the vehicle to another facility for repairs."

EDIT EDIT: I see now that it says it can be repaired anywhere, but not inspected. I think you might be right about having to have it re-inspected at the original shop which really sucks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Are you sure? Here in VA you can get it reinspected at the station that failed you for $1, and they only check the item that caused the failure. HOWEVER, you do have the option to start the inspection over at any other inspector for the full price.
You don't HAVE to go back to the same inspection station, but if you take it somewhere else you have to pay the $80-90 for another inspection. If you take it back to the same place, they'll check the failed items and pass it for free.

And yes, $80-90 seems expensive, but MD inspections only happen when a car changes owners (used cars only, not new purchases). There are no other inspections except biannual emissions, which is $10-14 depending on if you do self-serve or full-serve. Yes, we have self service OBDII emissions testing. Take that as you will. :D

As for failing... if the car had X from the factory it needs to have X in order to pass. So in this case, I can see it being technically a fail. A dumb one though. That said, since the inspection stations are private companies, you get some that are more strict than others.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Jeez, that would be nice around here its a half day or more ordeal for a bi-yearly code scan for a sticker.
....but it is free now, woohoo....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts