Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
go wings!
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tagged along with some VW friends to their meet to see what all the hype is about. GREAT driving. Tail of the dragon is pretty intense, like 9 miles of intensity... I got very very loose around a lot of the corners. Word of wisdom- go early as soon as it gets light out, like 8am. Less chance of ending up behind a truck or something. :driving:

They had a TON of professional photographers out there, yanked these off of one of their sites...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took on the Dragon last month. What an experience. I will definitely be going back. There was very low traffic when I was there and I was balls out almost the whole way. I got it to over 100 mph. My avatar is a pic from there.

·
Registered
607 Posts
All I ever read is tickets being issued at the dragon.

You must be lucky.

there are several videos out of the police trailing vehicles on the dragon, not to mention the several speed traps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You they do set up speed traps. If you go during a weekday or low traffic times I doubt you will get hassled. There was very little traffic when I was there.

I came up on an accident doing like 60 into a turn. They were taking a guy off the middle of the road with a stretcher. I didnt see a wrecked motorcycle so Im not to sure what happened. There are a few deaths there every year. I wouldnt be driving real fast if there was heavy traffic. That road can be very dangerous. Its such a rush though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I went down there a couple of years ago in my GTO and had a blast, and you're right, the best time is during the week.

·
go wings!
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had a mini-convoy of cars and didn't get hassled too much, and when something was fishy like a passing cop or a speedtrap we radio'd back on our FRS radios :) Kind of ghetto but it got the job done.

There were a bunch of car clubs out there as well as a huge motorcycle meet so I'm surprised we didn't get hassled as much. That being said we were only there in the morning around 8am and then again around 4 or 5pm..

SO fun... I recommend it to anyone. Even if you don't flog your car, the scenery is beautiful. I WILL be back down there soon, it's way too fun and it's actually an economical trip to take, the lodging is cheap!

Mike

·
go wings!
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll post some more pics later, maybe even a video.

Wish I'd taken the ugly bra off after the 400 miles down there. Oh well, I'm going back ASAP :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Took my Miata down there about 5 years ago and yes, it was a blast. While the dragon is fun, they actually have more injuries / deaths on the Cherohala (sp?) highway. Very wide open slow sweeping corners. Until one isn't a sweeping corner, then you just have 1000 feet of cliff face. Couple of guys in our group almost bought the farm on that road.

Now that I am off the west coast, I might have to make another pilgrimage down there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did the Dragon once in my first Solstice. I'll travel to a lot of places for drives, but I no longer have any desire to tackle the Dragon.

Drive safe all, it is true there are a lot of deaths and accidents there, especially for the motorcycle riders who aren't as protected as those of us in cars.

Attachments

·
band
568 Posts
The Dragon is fun. You really need to respect the double yellow line though. If I came around the corner on my bike and you were that far over the yellow...

...If you didn't run me over or force me off the road I would have knocked your mirror off.

·
go wings!
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Dragon is fun. You really need to respect the double yellow line though. If I came around the corner on my bike and you were that far over the yellow...

...If you didn't run me over or force me off the road I would have knocked your mirror off.
Yeah, that one was my bad...

For what it's worth, I looked at the video we took and that section you can see pretty far ahead (contrary to what the pic looks like) and I took some extra road there to get on it. We were also lucky to have copilots communicating over radios announcing if there was anything coming up like cars/bikes etc.

Not defending myself though, exhibit A shows I'm definitely guilty! :judge:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Zaze -
looking at your pics and the group you were with, how did the G8 do handling with the VW's/WRX, miatas, etc.? Just curious, haven't tried flogging mine in the curves yet. I've had a miata and a WRX and know what they're capable of.

·
go wings!
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's heavy. Haha... best explanation I can give. I pushed progressively harder during the days, I didn't want to have some sort of failure while I was down there so far from home. That was the first time I really laid into the car since I got it a few months ago.

There is body roll to be addressed but it's not a dealbreaker at all. It does really well in the curvies. I would not reccomend doing that with this car on the all-season tires though... the potenzas did great. I got them up really hot during some parts and they started to complain a little bit but not too bad at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Zaze - thanks - IMO, the G8 handles better than the GTO I traded and I think I'd feel more confident in this car. It's a 3 hr drive for me, and my parents live around 1.5 hrs from there so there's really no excuse for me not making the trip sometime soon. Gotta get there - run it - get the t-shirt. :driving:

·
Registered
37 Posts
BlazinRed,

The ls1GTO group will be up at the dragon at 9AM Friday may 15th.
we welcome other cars. We've got about 20 cars signed up which means about 15 will show. I'm coming up from Charleston the night before.
We will be meeting at the turnoff at the lake with bathrooms omn the Tenn side.
As a plus the Bandit Trans Am group will be there that morning also.

if any of you guys are going to be in the area come on an join us, very loosely oranized family oriented group of people.
except that we haul ass on the Dragon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts