Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no stranger to higher HP, RWD cars in the snow. I drove my GTO daily for the first year that I owned it. That said, with a good set of snow tires (Blizzak LM-60s), the G8 is simply a tank in the snow. It's still a RWD car, but it is so mild mannered and predictable.

Is anyone else driving theirs year round with or without snow tires?

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Year round but with all season tires the past 2 winters. The 1st year I owned it we got hit with the blizzards and I was screwed! 1st one hit while I was at work, 6 hours ahead of when the weather man said it would and I bearly made it home. the next 2 she stayed in the garage so I wouldn't kill myself.

This year she'll be running all season 285's out back and I'm throwing a 250 pound piece of rail from the rail road in the trunk for weight, I'm hoping for a Panzer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We usually don't get a lot of snow here (definitely not as much as in your area) but I probably should have invested in a set of snow tires. This will be my first winter with the car.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
My michelin Xice2's in stock size are going on their third winter season for my daily driver. And buffalo is known for our winters...

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
i got stuck in the snow last winter with the stockers, never again.
i just got my conti winter extremes put on saturday.

and today its 60 degrees lol

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i got stuck in the snow last winter with the stockers, never again.
i just got my conti winter extremes put on saturday.

and today its 60 degrees lol
Let us all know how those winter Conti's do, I have been eyeing those up for next year.
I'm rolling my brand new DWS's this winter, I'm hoping they'll do alright.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Mine has had factory's on from day ono, drives like a King Tiger in the snow. I grew up cutting my teeth in the snow. Besides mine is always sideways around corners cause "I LIKE IT THAT WAY".............

·
Registered
55 Posts
Conti DWS handled pretty well for our first snow of the winter... being from FL... she's going to sit in the garage though if at all possible all winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dallas caught a good winter storm last year the week of the Super Bowl...The Summer only tires were my issue, but I did feel comfortable with the weight and handling.
That was the ice storm from hell... I was in town for work... driving a FWD rental car... there was no handling... go 30 mph and hope you stayed on the road.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Yep, it was a nightmare! The problem with Dallas/Ft. Worth is that there are more bridges and overpasses then any other city in the nation. Compound that with inexperienced winter driving....sheesh

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I just put on a set of DWS and plan to run my g8 all winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, snow tires and heated seats. Guess the real test will be taking it skiing next week. I considered trading the wife for her Jeep for a day or two, but I want to see how well it really does.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How did the G8 do in the latest snow storm? I got about a foot at my house in Broomfield so I bet Morrison was well over that. I opted to drive the Silverado the last few days

·
G8 GT - Sports and Pre Pg
532 Posts
I'm no stranger to higher HP, RWD cars in the snow. I drove my GTO daily for the first year that I owned it. That said, with a good set of snow tires (Blizzak LM-60s), the G8 is simply a tank in the snow. It's still a RWD car, but it is so mild mannered and predictable.

Is anyone else driving theirs year round with or without snow tires?
Although I'm in the North East now, and I come from North West, I've driving through this area once this year, so I can comment before the Dec 31. :) I just installed LM 60's on my car cause I almost got stuck in almost no snow at all with my all season tires. Shovel in hand to save the day. That, and learning how to do better in the snow, are essential for my first year in snow (oddly, none yet here, sep for the one day back in Oct).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
How did the G8 do in the latest snow storm? I got about a foot at my house in Broomfield so I bet Morrison was well over that. I opted to drive the Silverado the last few days
I made the daily drive from Castle Rock to Aurora no problems...I got some Yokohama winter tires on now...but the first day of all the snow I had my all-seasons on and they did great too. Switched to the winters for the next day cuz off all the slush and ice I know I was gonna see.

Tried to do it once with the summer only tires...and that didnt work well at all.

·
Juice Addict
469 Posts
Drive the GXP almost every day with half bald RSA's, just have to be careful where I stop. Biggest issue is the alley to my garage...where it meets the road is a large gutter/ditch. If I stop with the rears too deep in it (and the ice/hardpack is thin enough to let it be that deep), I have a hell of a time getting out. So far, no problems with deep stuff as long as I keep moving, and it tracks nice and straight, even when plowing with the "splitter." A few intersections have been fun to pull away from, as TC does not catch fast enough...3rd gear starts work pretty well though (dunno how well it would with stock converter though). Braking is great...better than the wife's Forester thanks to weight and more sophisticated ABS. Enough better that I have considered taking my car even when hers is available at times (but then the fun of awd drifting and less dirt on my car wins out).

If I had snows, I don't think anything reasonable would stop it. The Forester is still better overall, and it has a set of studded snows ready if needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts