Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just shopping around , never had a tci or vig but i hear they feel "loose" my old 07 tbss had a circle d i6 3200 and i liked it , a little tight but really got the ss moving .. I know alot are gonna say circle d but what about the others ? what do they feel like in a g8 ? pros? /cons? on the three

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
I had an FTI, but the clutch delaminated. Chris at Circle D is amazing to deal with and his converters are outstanding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
331 Posts
So far So good with my Yank SS3200. I haven't had it on the track yet, but it moves on the street pretty well. Great driveability too.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
I'm partial to Yank 3200 SS cause that's what I have , excellent drivability, you won't know you're driving a stalled car until the verter locks, it's so tight I wish I've gone with a 3600 SS :). Don't forget about a trans cooler, and since the price is so cheap and you'll be dropping the trans pan and filter anyways, get the Camaro trans pan kit.

Have fun.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
I'm partial to Yank 3200 SS cause that's what I have , excellent drivability, you won't know you're driving a stalled car until the verter locks, it's so tight I wish I've gone with a 3600 SS :). Don't forget about a trans cooler, and since the price is so cheap and you'll be dropping the trans pan and filter anyways, get the Camaro trans pan kit.

Have fun.
I originally went with a 2800, but recently had it re-stalled to 3600. I can honestly say I wish I had done the 3600 from the get go. This isn't my daily driver anymore, but its fine for a DD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I have a 2600 precision industries triple disk (vigilante). I really like it for a dd and at the track. Personally I can't understand why people go with the higher 3200-3600 unless purely for drag racing....

Mine cuts steady 1.71 60's and has done a 1.67 when I hit that sweet spot. The coan converters are really nice also, but they are pricey...

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
It all depends on the verter, yours is probably loose for a 2600, but not enough to make it feel bad on the street. Precision makes great verters, back when i didn't now anything about verters, i drove in a car (6.0 GTO) with a 2600 Vigilante, and a Camaro with a 3200 Yank, the Vigilante was actually looser than the Yank when on the street, feeling wise. Vigilante owner told me he had it spec'd to be as loose as posible for a 2600rpm stall.

If you drive another stalled car, you'll realize how can it have a different slipping feel when on the street, even at the same advertised stall speed. Some verter slip can really bother people, some others won't, of course the smaller the best for driveability, but even a 3200 can feel a lot smaller, and launch like a smaller one too if you ask the manufacturer to give you that, also depending on the verter setup, you can lose or gain mph, accelerate better for 60's, gain ET but lose mph, or the opposite. some times manufacturers need a second or third time change to nail the right setup for your verter, just depends on how serious you're about 1/4 mile, and what you want out of the verter. I go to the track with a GTO that have changed verter 3 times (restalled), and even though guy cuts the same 60, he gets a lot better ET (0.2 sec) with the last turbine setup, but also 2mph less at the end of the 1/8 mile. His car is setup for brackets, so he couldn't care less about mph. He runs a Precision as well.

Coan makes possible the best of the best verters money can buy, but geez they're expensive.

I'm happy with my Yank on the street, seriously you wouldn't feel it like a 3200rpm, and my 60's are 1.74-1.76 so far, no problem whatsoever in 25k miles, and i drive the car in situations where bigger verter equipped cars wouldn't dare to go (mountains, hilly areas etc), The Yank 3200 behaves a lot more like a smaller unit, and the reason some people don't like it and go bigger. In my application is perfect for the street, and the reason i say 3600rpm would have been better for the track, i also drive on DR's most of the times, so i don't get to complaint too much about traction. i only change tires now days when the rainy season comes, rest of the times i'm yanking AWD cars left and right when they ask for it at stoplights :)

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
Coan. Not only does it run better on the street, but it performs better on the track. Not OMG EXPENSIVE, though, since their billet stalls run about $200-300 above Yanks.

I run a 4000 Coan in my car right now and it's a much better street driver than my old 3200 Circle D.

You get what you pay for.

Coan, Neal Chance, Ultimate Converters (have heard only good things about UCC on Yellow Bullet which means something since I don't think YB comes to a consensus very often). . . Can't go wrong with those three builders.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Lol, yes it's not omg expensive, $100 more expensive that my Yank SS in more or less same size. Yank SS is billet as well, with billet clutch, so it's not exactly i bought one of the cheapo remanufactu'd options out there :), i picked Yank based on reputation and tech availability, hey, Dave was there right on the phone answering all my silly questions, while the other people i called where listening to voicemails all day, and who knows where they do that because the callbacks came in 2 days later lol. I wanted a Vigilante, Circle D or Yank, from all the 3 options, Dave was always there, via phone and email everytime i asked, and within minutes. Heck yeah, you really get what you pay for....

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
Lol, yes it's not omg expensive, $100 more expensive that my Yank SS in more or less same size. Yank SS is billet as well, with billet clutch, so it's not exactly i bought one of the cheapo remanufactu'd options out there :), i picked Yank based on reputation and tech availability, hey, Dave was there right on the phone answering all my silly questions, while the other people i called where listening to voicemails all day, and who knows where they do that because the callbacks came in 2 days later lol. I wanted a Vigilante, Circle D or Yank, from all the 3 options, Dave was always there, via phone and email everytime i asked, and within minutes. Heck yeah, you really get what you pay for....
Yank is solid. Solid product, etc. I will say, having driven a car that went from Yank to Coan, that I think the price increase from the two would be more than justified to be a few hundred instead of just $100.

My father's car improved about .2 over the Yank on the short times and is a much, much better street driver. The latter part doesn't mean much to him, but it means a lot to me (as someone who daily drives his 4000 stall'd car!). I had a similar change going from Circle D to Coan -- just much, much better street manners.

I think that Yank is a great option, too. Don't get me wrong. But if you can afford to spend the extra few hunded bucks? I think it makes sense to go with a Coan or one of the other high end makers (Neal Chance, Ultimate Converters, etc.). FWIW, I am not even sure if Chance or UCC are doing 6L80E converters. I am sure that they are, but I should preface my point with that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a Revmax 3200 stall in my 95 firehawk. It was great and cost less then 300 shipped. I see on tech that Revmax has become pretty big and with great quality. There are tons of people over there running there converters and they are still in the 300.00 price range.

Lost .3 tenths and gained a mph with just the converter in my 95 LT1 car. I was running [email protected] and after the converter [email protected] That was the only aftermarket mod I had done. I was cutting 2.0 60's. If I had a dr I would probably have had a 12 second LT1 car with the only mods being that converter and DR's..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.