Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Trying to do some research on this and not having success.

On the V6s, is the transmission computer inside the transmission or external and if the latter can anyone point out where it's located?

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
For the V6 models (if the service manual is correct), shows the TCM located somewhat high and behind the right side kick panel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey guys. Trying to do some research on this and not having success.

On the V6s, is the transmission computer inside the transmission or external and if the latter can anyone point out where it's located?
It is behind the glove box to the left. The tcm cannot be removed as far as i am concerned without demolishing the entire dashboard. The connector can be removed behind the glove box but there is not much extra wire to play with to move it around.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the assistance guys. So if a replacement TCM was to be installed, safe to say that a spot could be found to mount it along side the original TCM but removing the old TCM would be a big PITA? There's a local G8 meet this weekend, I'll see if anyone can help me put eyes on the TCM on their V6 model.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
They say the TCM is removed upon spreading the 4 snap clips securing it to its base. But that could be another error in the manual, since "kgenesse" has one of those cars and sounds like he's (been there done that).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped the glove box last night and didn't see anything I'd identify as the TCM. I subscribed to AllData last night and they're agreeing that it's in the kickpanel area. I'll hopefully get another chance to go exploring for it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
They say the TCM is removed upon spreading the 4 snap clips securing it to its base. But that could be another error in the manual, since "kgenesse" has one of those cars and sounds like he's (been there done that).

Yes, been there tried that. There is a component mounted in front of it which belongs to the hvac system that won't allow it to come out. The snap clips would release it if it had a place to go.

OP- what exactly are you trying to do?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to gauge how easily a replacement TCM could be installed if a reprogrammed module was offered. Even if the old module can't be easily removed, could a new module be installed alongside it and plugged in if the connector is accessible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm trying to gauge how easily a replacement TCM could be installed if a reprogrammed module was offered. Even if the old module can't be easily removed, could a new module be installed alongside it and plugged in if the connector is accessible.

Seeing as it is quite thin it may be possible. But I don't see anyone offering a module anytime soon. In my personal opinion, internal mods and valve body mods are more realistic for the 5L40 and a conversion such as mine to the 6L50 is better because it is as programmable as it's big brother.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In need of some help on this. Who's mechanically inclined enough to help out with this if it earned them a free transmission tune? I need some pictures and description of where the module is in the dash.

Also need help determining the ECM's security key relearn procedure if someone wants to help with that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can help you, but I don't have the 5 speed anymore. I can help you with location and maybe security key.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Im going to put them in soon Will and send pics.
Im going to pull the panels off today.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Got my panels off still looking for the TCM.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Ahh cool thanxs bro I found it. Holy crap its up in there good the plug is on the top this should be fun. Any hints?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ahh cool thanxs bro I found it. Holy crap its up in there good the plug is on the top this should be fun. Any hints?
Nope, I never Perseud removing it. I just disconnected the connector and put my adaptor in the dash with it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts