Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the boards here for quite a while and I couldn't find the info I was looking for so please bear with me.

I have been thinking about getting a canned tune from the likes of Vector or Livernois (sp? ). I have vague recollection of reading about some issues that crop up after running with a retuned trans for some time. Harsh shifts or getting stuck in a particular gear. I don't recall the exact details. Does this sound familiar? Can someone point me to the correct thread that has the detail? Also, was the issue ever resolved or would I still be at risk of running into the issue if I got a canned tune?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I've had livernois for over 3 years without nay an issue.

If your car exhibits problems or if the shifting is not to your liking (too soft or too firm) you could PM [email protected] and he can send you an updated tune that adjusts whatever you request. I have several TCM tunes that I could switch between at any time.

To my knowledge, VMS uses similar tuning software but their TCM is either "stage 1" or "stage 2" shift profile, not really customizable like I've experienced with Livernois, but I don't have direct experience with VMS.

I recommend Livernois, try it out, they're good at what they do.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
All the problems I know of were transmission related. Search "2-3 transmission flare" for more than you ever wanted to know about this. Some experienced harsh shifts, such as me, and some had their tranny disengage, the rpm's race up high, and then the tranny engage 3rd.

Not sure about getting stuck in gear either, except where something broke.

As Zepcom stated, you can revise the TCM tune to your liking and keep multiple tunes on your computer for different situations, such as street vs. track vs. wifey driving the car this week.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the thread I was referring to in my first post:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48509

I thought that the consensus was that people with both VMS and Livernois tunes had experienced the problems and that it was somehow related to the TCM tuning and that even reflashing to stock did not resolve the issue. It seemed that having the adaptive learning reset at the dealer was the only way to get rid of the issue.

Is that still the case? Will the VMS/Livernois TCM tune eventually screw up the adaptive learning and require a trip to the dealer to reset?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
As I said in my first post, I have livernois and have never had the problems you report. Maybe cars that also have shift flair are more prone to this, I donno. Time to call up one of the places you're considering and talk to them about it, see what they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts