Pontiac G8 Forum banner

TCM unresponsive

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Theconnman2 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a trinity on eBay (i know this is asking for problems, which it did bring). I wasn't thinking right and just plugged it into my car without checking for updates and to see if it was unmarried. I went straight to performance and went on installing a modified stock tune and the firm shift tune to the tcm. after in installed it said there was a problem and it was going to restore stock backup. At this point i realized that at no point did it actually take a backup of my car at the beginning of the tune. Once it completed putting the so-called backup on my car it would not start. The cluster gauges did not work and nothing happened when i turned the key. I have some friends at a Chevy dealer so I towed it there and got a PCM re flash and thankfully my car started up and all was well. Until i pulled out of the parking lot and realized i got the infamous ESP off and the cluster saying i was in park when i was actually in drive. It also does not shift. I turned around and had them look at it again and they were going to flash the tcm also but the computer cant even find it. It is completely invisible. I tried doing the battery reset left it unplugged for over 24 hours and still no dice. They are telling me i need a whole new TCM and seem convinced the unit in my car is either fried or whatever the diablo installed on it has permanently bricked it. I talked to the eBay seller and he is telling me that it was unmarried and was working fine. The trinity is telling me it is unmarried at this point also. I thought trinity wouldn't tune cars if they were married but the only thing i can think of is if the trinity installed a previous car's tcm data on my 09 G8 GT. Help..!

See less See more
#2 ·
The only thing i can think of would be a full replacement which would be a $310 dorman part plus fluid and plus a re flash through the dealer with a tech 2, or if i could find someone to try to do a reflash tune on it via removal and mailing it to them, any ideas who would be able to do this and what price?

#4 ·
Why not just have the dealer that flashed the PCM flash the stock TCM?

I can do on the bench TCM OEM flashes, but your dealer should be able to no problem if they did the PCM.

Edits lol I need to read the whole post :)
Sounds like the TCM might be bricked and you would need a new one. Or try sending it to Chris White to fix.

-Greg

#3 ·
Hmm sounds like a bad situation all around. I personally feel like time is money so I would send that trinity tuner back to the seller for a refund and just pay the dealer the $310 to fix it.

Next I would get a superchips tuner and be done with it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys, im going back this weekend to see if they can find it in the tech 2 then. I've done another reset on the tcm and the check engine light (which was the unlinked TCM u code) goes away now when i power the tcm back up via putting the fuse back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.