Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went with fixed set-up

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More proactive than anything, get rid of a moving part. Over the years I had a few tensioners fail, get weak. Have same pulley either way and got this fixed unit at a nice price used. Use a tq wrench to set the belt tension so it's not over tightened and done. Serp belts don't really stretch, so should be set.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I had one on my Goat. I just wish they made one for the A/C belt.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I had one on my Goat. I just wish they made one for the A/C belt.
You can get Crazy Paul's AC tensioner fix and be done with it.

If the serpentine belt doesn't really stretch over time, then what's the point of the tensioner?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Since the serpentine belt doesn't stretch as much, it is too easy to over tighten the belt. That shortens the life of the water pump, alternator bearings, and PS pump. The belt has more surface area than a V belt. It does not require as much tension to avoid slippage. I have found the system works with a little annual maintenance. I lube the tensioner spring and pivot to make sure they are not hung up. Then a grease needle to lube the pulley bearing.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I also have setup similar to this but the Katech one... it works great and no worries from the tensioner going bad or throwing a belt. Most high horsepower guys end up going this way to make it more reliable!... easy as cake to set tension... probalbly not a need for most guys but something different!--- I like!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
what's the point of the tensioner?
I think is easy maintenance, prevent the belt from squealing and keep the right amount of tension on the bearings.

Only had trouble once with one but the vehicle had over 150,000 on the clock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts