Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well back in May I started a thread introducing myself and trying to get familiar with the Pontiac G8 and this board ( http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46705&highlight= ). As you can see, I wasn't and still am not rushing to buy a car! lol. But anyway, I test drove a 2008 G8 GT today with less than 28,000 miles. That was quite a fun experience. Now I'm just wondering if some of what I experienced is normal.

For starters, the transmission felt like it shifted a bit hard, and I actually had the thing wide-open on a highway on ramp for a little bit and it chirped the tires quite nicely going into 2nd I believe. Now the firm shifting doesn't bother me much, but what does bother me is the potential compromise in the transmission's longevity, considering that the G8 will be my daily driver year-round. I wonder if this has something to do with the transmission issue some of the 2008s suffered from.

There was also a noticeable drone inside while cruising down the highway at around 70-80 mph. It wasn't terrible, but it'll probably become a little annoying on the longer hauls. Is this normal?

Other than that, I couldn't have been more impressed with this loaded car. However the salesman insisted that the thing was bone-stock except for window tints and rain drip guards on the windows. The shifts however, told me that the transmission had been worked on and that the drone might've be the result of aftermarket exhaust (although it was pretty quiet while idling on the lot if I remember correctly).

Here's the ad for the exact car I drove:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=68146042&listingRecNum=2&criteria=sf1Dir=DESC&mkId=20035&stkTyp=U&mdId=21186&rd=30&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&zc=06062&rn=0&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=ASC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Nm=miles&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

Oh and I thought I'd mention that the salesperson told me that with some haggling and my trade (1994 GMC Jimmy), the price could probably come down to $22,200 from what the ad says. Sound good?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not completely sure about the exhaust, but it looks aftermarket. I do not believe the OEM exhaust has a drone.

Where you feeling the hard shifts with the car in sport mode or Normal mode?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Stock exhaust is whisper quiet. Won't drone at all so if it is then it is aftermarket.

Sent from my EVO 3D

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
sounds like it may have a tune on it
and some sort of exhaust. if you go
back and look under the car where the
muff cans are, you should be able to
tell pretty quick if its aftermarket.

jzpiano is right on, these cars are uber
quiet from the factory.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Ask the dealership that's selling it if they can coordinate with a pontiac dealership to return it to the factory ECM and factory TCM tunes, should be able to be done in most cases. Have this part of the negotiations phase, and re-test-drive the car after the stock tunes are reset and verify it cannot chirp. You're right, that could have an effect on longevity on the tranny if was not responsibly done, and you have no idea what the previous owner did.

Then you can start from square one, and consider a superchips or other tune option when it is right for you.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Ask the dealership that's selling it if they can coordinate with a pontiac dealership to return it to the factory ECM and factory TCM tunes, should be able to be done in most cases. Have this part of the negotiations phase, and re-test-drive the car after the stock tunes are reset and verify it cannot chirp. You're right, that could have an effect on longevity on the tranny if was not responsibly done, and you have no idea what the previous owner did.

Then you can start from square one, and consider a superchips or other tune option when it is right for you.

Just my $0.02
I agree, some people get to aggressive with tuning things themselves i would work the deal but tell them you want to take it to a GM dealer to reflash the TCM and ECM. Hard shifting while good for power is terrible for the trans. That is how i blew out the rear end on my truck, learned that lesson the expensive way. Trust me their is no drone on the stock exhaust, look under the car. If you dont see two giant oil drum mufflers it's not stock. if it is stock you will barely see the heat shroud mounted to the car.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Looks like Borla or Magnaflow tips, with the rolled edge. Stock GT tips don't roll over.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
If it's AFM drone, the only way to get rid of it is to tune it out. If it's the dreaded 1800rpm drone, then J-pipes should fix it. Sounds like the car is modified. I agree with having the dealer make sure the tunes are reset to stock. Or ask them to lower the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
12 Participants
Zodiac
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing