Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
My engine the U.S. the transmission France (Coneheads), believe that many trans are built in France, I know BMWs are.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I can't comment 'directly' on this thread regarding the one-piece or two-piece v6 covers, but I know that for my V8 car, I was in contact with Crazy Paul to get the holden two piece covers (to replace the factory stock V8 one piece, I feel your pain, guys!) and he told me that one of the plastics manufacturers over there in Aussie land had gone belly up, related to all the GM global problems. As a result, there was a shortage for quite some time on the two piece v8 covers....

I wonder if this is related, like in that plastics manufacturer went out of business and the supply dried up, so maybe they substituted with a generic 1-piece cover at some point from another model line car with the same engine.

Just a guess...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is a 2009 model...not the 2009.5...it has one piece....piece. I would like the two piece...and would consider getting it painted to look better. The one piece looks terrible. Anyone have a part number for two piece....price ?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
silly question but was the v6 offered in more than one flavor?
asking because the one piece cover is clearly covering up the oil filler cap that's on the two piece.
do you have to remove the once piece cover to do an oil change?

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
silly question but was the v6 offered in more than one flavor?
asking because the one piece cover is clearly covering up the oil filler cap that's on the two piece.
do you have to remove the once piece cover to do an oil change?
Yes, you have to remove both variations to do an oil and filter change. The filter is located to the right of the engine and looks like small cup with a large not on the top. Technically speaking it's not a filter, but a filter cartridge. The GTs and GXPs have the traditional screw-on filters. The only advantage to the one-piece versus the two-piece covers are topping off/refilling .

·
Registered
947 Posts
Where the 2 piece comes in handy is if you have the Pedders Strut Tower Brace. When I had a one piece I had to swing the brace up. With the two piece I only have to remove the right cover to get to the oil cartdrige. It just clears the underside of the brace.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't kill me for digging up an old thread, but whoever said these (2) different covers are totally interchangeable was/is wrong.
I have a 1-piece & a 2-piece, and they have different mounting points.

I will get hammered for this, but I actually wanted to go to the 1-piece to cover the bolts on the top of the intake. Being a daily driver here in MI, and starting to age, there seems to be some point where water gets on top of the intake and pools on the top of the bolt heads for the intake. Because of that, I don't want to deal with corrosion there, and bought the 1-piece to just cover it all up & protect them. I mean, it's just a base model, a daily driver, and nearing 200k. At this point, I'm more worried about the corrosion than I am the look of the 2-piece.

The mounting points are different, and the 2-piece only secures at the end closest to the throttle body.

Wasted money thanks to this thread lol! It's been 8 years, but maybe it will help someone else.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Believe the two-piece design has clips on the bottom and mounts to three or four brackets along the side of the engine. The one-piece design fastens to the back of the intake manifold (studs) and front of the engine (brackets). If possible, would visit a local General Motors dealership parts department to see if they can either order the four pieces (studs, brackets) or provide their part numbers. The passenger side bracket attaches to a wiring harness so it could already be on the vehicle. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Unsure regarding fitment of the Camaro V6 appearance cover, but have not been a fan of full top engine appearance covers for quite some time. They tend to insulate/trap unnecessary heat in the engine bay. In colder or very moist climates it might be a welcomed addition, but not so much in triple digit summer temperatures. At least, that's the case for PONY MAN.

·
Registered
285 Posts
PONY MAN: I'm a little confused by your suggestion as to what you think will help me.

My car came with the 2-piece design and has brackets on both sides of the engine (left & right) currently that has the additional mounting points for the 2-piece cover. I'm trying to move to the 1-piece, which yeah I know is a hugely unpopular move lol!

Anyway, I took a look at it again last night, and I don't see studs or bracketry at the rear side of the engine for the 1-piece cover to attach to. The rear side of the cover has 2 tabs that look like they should slip into something that is non-existent in my engine bay as far as I can tell.

Are you saying there is something on the back side of the engine that runs left-to-right like a crossbar that the cover should hook into? Or are you just referring to the brackets on the left/right side of the engine that the 2-piece cover clips into? For the 1-piece cover to work, the existing brackets I have that hold the 1-piece seem pointless for this cover.

Thanks for trying to help, I definitely appreciate it! I just figured this would go into the abyss of "who cares anymore."

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Unsure regarding fitment of the Camaro V6 appearance cover, but have not been a fan of full top engine appearance covers for quite some time. They tend to insulate/trap unnecessary heat in the engine bay. In colder or very moist climates it might be a welcomed addition, but not so much in triple digit summer temperatures. At least, that's the case for PONY MAN.
I agree, I have the two piece, they're on in the winter, in the summer I take off the covers, makes me feel like its doing some good.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Very well. Will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow for clarity. Car originally came with the one-piece cover. Didn't like its appearance (how ironic) so removed and sold it awhile ago. As a result, purchased the two-piece covers and brackets. Decided to sell them since it seemed eventually one of the mounting tabs would break and render it virtually useless. Had to tug pretty hard to remove the drivers side for oil changes and perhaps to check engine oil level. Long story shorter, sold them and the brackets and am somewhat familiar with how both attach to the vehicle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
LOL! You hit on another reason I'm getting rid of the 2-piece setup. Years & years ago I broke just one of the tabs that holds a clip on the rear side of the driver's side cover because of EXACTLY what you just described up there.

After years of searching for a replacement driver's side piece that's not broken in the same way (and then recently seeing the bolt head corrosion on the intake), I decided to go for the 1-piece!

I'll post pics later. Thank you again for all the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mines a mid 09 with all the options and had the one piece cover as well. Personally I ditched it all together and painted the intake and valve covers while I had it apart. I hated the one piece and thought our intake manifolds weren’t bad looking on their own 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Realized most of the components were removed awhile ago so disregard the pictures for clarity comment.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts