Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this video, I talk about the pros and cons of both the Air Force Master Blaster by Metro, and a standard electric leaf blower. I give the insight that I have from using both devices for a few years. You may find my conclusion surprising so kick your feet up and hear my take.

One thing that people like to suggest is the use of compressed air. Compressor tanks have a nasty little habit of collecting dirt and water in the bottom of them. If your compressor lines are not properly filtered and the tank and filters are not checked and maintained often, you risk the chance at sandblasting your paint with debris. NOT a smart scenario. Compressed air can also do damage to emblems and decals if you get too close to the car. Thus, I never recommend the use of compressed air to dry a car with. I know first hand how much of a hassle it is to maintain pneumatic lines as that was one of my responsibilities at the Motorola depot that I worked for years ago. No compressed air!

Another thing you must take into consideration if you plan to buy a Master Blaster is the amperage that the unit draws. You must have a 20-amp outlet to use the device at full tilt or it will shut down the line that you plug it into. It draws a hefty 19-amps on full tilt so understand that before you plug it up and turn it on.

If you decide to purchase the Master Blaster, this link on Metro's website shows all of the authorized resellers of Metro's products. Take a look at them as you may find one close to you, which will keep you from incurring shipping charges if you can pick it up locally. Otherwise, check out this link for the electric leaf blower that I would recommend.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a master blaster and love it. Gets the car extremely dry and saves me from having to wash so many towels.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
Still laughing at the switches: Yeah, and Hell Yeah!

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Any comparisons on the distance for best drying between the two? From the end of each tip to the vehicle. It appears, in the commercial, that you have to hold the MB fairly close to the vehicle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears, in the commercial, that you have to hold the MB fairly close to the vehicle.
Not really. The reason that I didn't do a side by side comparison in the video is because performance wise, it was a wash. Neither machine really outperformed the other and the main differences between the machines were what I outlined in the video. The Master Blaster is a lot easier to handle but is it $300 easier? There's where I have to draw the line. It's no question that the Master Blaster is the better unit by far, but I can't say that it is $300 better. That is the stickler for me. I can't justify telling some struggling college student to go out and spend that kind of loot on that machine.

Now if you're a baller.... :driving:

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
I used to have blowers just like this master blaster back in high school when I was doing livestock exhibitions. We used them to dry off the cattle after washing them to prep them for a show. I guess I should have kept one of em when I got out of that game. Back then they were in the mid 200 dollar range I think. Not any more!

https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/ia/p-253-sullivans-air-express-iii.aspx

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Thanx AJ!

I use the Blaster Sidekick. Leaf blower is on standby.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx AJ!

I use the Blaster Sidekick. Leaf blower is on standby.
The leaf blower is MUCH better than the Sidekick when it comes to the volume of air that it moves and the price. I wouldn't waste my time or money on the Sidekick. Remember, the ladies always wanted Batman, not Robin. :D

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
We used compressed air at the one shop and other then water gettin in the lines,no issues. I worked at that place for a little over five years and we where strictly a detail shop ,no body work or mechanic shop there. I heard that its more or less a worry for businesses with such departments.every place I've worked had air lines for the detail shop. I can see where a emblem that's loose could pop off. Never had anything fly out. They had their own mechanics for upkeep of the business ,so maybe they cleaned the lines more often then I was aware or something. The place I'm at now ,which is a dealership also uses compressed air. Two and a half years now to this day ,again no issues. I'd consider it luck but for all the places I've detailed over the years and no issues ,its hard to claim dumb luck after so much time using compressed air. Could the atmosphere of the business or home play a roll in the possibility of getting debris to collect ? Maybe that's why I haven't had an issue. I also use the air to blow out interiors too. So maybe its possible but I have never seen it except the one time when I worked at a body shop that they heaved warning of a piece of debris getting in the line. At home I will take my 5.0 rigid vac. And stick the hose on the blow side to air dry my car . I clean the inside of my vac out before use and just hose out the hose to be careful of debris shooting out and so far over the past seven or so years of doing that and no issues. Maybe a little water blowing out at first but no damage. Just my experience on this matter gang.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The placement of the compressor as well as the climate plays a large role in what cones out the other end. If it is sucking in dense damp air thou may receive that pout the other end. That is why most compressors have checks and cups and such to limit that. A well kept compressor shouldn't t have an issue.

I never thought about debris coming out and damaging paint. I suppose it is possible but chances are damage is microscopic. I typically only use it to blow out mirrors, trim, cracks and the interior so for my car I'm not worried.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This is what I use.

I also use it for what it is made for, cleaning computers. Light very powerful, decently long cord, and completely handheld

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The placement of the compressor as well as the climate plays a large role in what cones out the other end. If it is sucking in dense damp air thou may receive that pout the other end. That is why most compressors have checks and cups and such to limit that. A well kept compressor shouldn't t have an issue.

I never thought about debris coming out and damaging paint. I suppose it is possible but chances are damage is microscopic. I typically only use it to blow out mirrors, trim, cracks and the interior so for my car I'm not worried.
That's kinda what I thought ,thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
... I never thought about debris coming out and damaging paint. I suppose it is possible but chances are damage is microscopic.
It's only microscopic depending on where the damage is. Dead smack in the center of your hood is like a bull in a China shop. No matter how much you try and ignore it, it will scream like an ape in heat every time you drive your car.

And to think, it all could have been avoided for a measly $30.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
The leaf blower is MUCH better than the Sidekick when it comes to the volume of air that it moves and the price. I wouldn't waste my time or money on the Sidekick. Remember, the ladies always wanted Batman, not Robin. :D
Call me Alfred:eek:ldfogey: :D

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
Junkman droppin knowledge!! thanks man

1 - 18 of 18 Posts